Alayna Ciera Flory and Whitney Miklos, seniors from Bridgewater College, recently received awards from the department of sociology.
The Arlie Hochschild Research Award went to Flory; she will receive the award as a graduating senior with outstanding research for her discipline. The Hochschild award is named after a professor emerita of sociology from the University of California, Berkeley who led research about family life and contemporary work for over three decades.
Flory is studying sociology while minoring in social work. She is part of the Philomathes Society, which is the scholastic honor society at Bridgewater. She is an investigator of the Honor Council and a team leader with the Academic Coach program.
Miklos has earned the C. Wright Mills Award, named after sociologist Charles Wright Mills. This award is only granted to students who show “public sociology” and demonstrate daily applications of sociological imagination outside of the classroom. She intends to pursue her master’s degree in social work at Tulane University.
Organizations in this story
- Dallas series will look into your mind
- Climate change called more catastrophic on mountains
- Brown provost joins public outcry over immigrant ban
- University sponsors wide-ranging business conference
- Gallery shows off variety of student artwork
- Pence taps South Dakota grad as security adviser
- 'Students-first' educators earn annual honors
- Professor puts underserved children on her radar
- South Dakota has prescription for family medicine success
- Gray day can't keep new Brown students away