Joseph Lofton credits his education at Ohio's Tiffin University with helping him land an internship with the Pittsburgh Steelers.
“I grew up with sports and it was everything to me," he said. "Coming
to Tiffin and majoring in sports management gave me the opportunity for my passion
to line up with a career."
Lofton, who graduated in 2014, is working in the NFL team's marketing department, helping with game-day events and promotions, as well as with events throughout the year that help raise money for the team.
“It started with an email as an opportunity to work the
Steelers training camp,” Lofton said. “At training camp, I networked with my
current boss as a connection from coaching youth football and playing high
school football in Pittsburgh. I got an offer to work some game days, and from
there I networked my way to a marketing intern position that I currently have.”
Networking was one of the keys to landing the role, Lofton said, and he thanks the university for helping him hone his skills.
My professor Bonnie Tiell was instrumental in preparing me for success
in the sports management field," he said. "She told me to network, network and
network. By the time I got out of Tiffin, I knew I was a professional, my
resume was good, I knew how to network, I could dress for success and I
had already interview prepped."
Organizations in this story
Tiffin University (Ohio) 155 Miami Street Tiffin, OH 44883
- Dallas series will look into your mind
- Climate change called more catastrophic on mountains
- Brown provost joins public outcry over immigrant ban
- University sponsors wide-ranging business conference
- Gallery shows off variety of student artwork
- Pence taps South Dakota grad as security adviser
- 'Students-first' educators earn annual honors
- Professor puts underserved children on her radar
- South Dakota has prescription for family medicine success
- Gray day can't keep new Brown students away