The University of New Orleans’ is mourning the loss of the school’s director of counseling services, Adrian Péré, who died Jan. 3.
Péré, 51, was well-known at the university where his kind personality and strong passion for improving lives left a major mark. A formerly ordained Catholic priest,
Péré embarked on a path of public service after leaving the priesthood. He came to UNO as an intern while working on his master’s degree in social work.
UNO Assistant Director and Coordinator of Clinical Training Rosamond Myers said Péré was the perfect picture of professionalism, ethics, and compassion.
“He was so outstanding, incredibly qualified, skilled and gifted,” Myers said.
Dale O’Neill, director of the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership, spoke of Péré’s various initiatives to improve the lives of students at the university. He was quick to organize student seminars dealing with anything from time management to diversity in the classroom and how to balance university life with free time, O’Neill said.
Péré was also a key contributor in the establishment of UNO’s Safe Space Allies program, that supported the school’s LGBT community and raised awareness of LGBT rights on campus.
“He went over and beyond,” O’Neill said. “I would like for us to be appreciative of all he gave to UNO. He was so selfless.”
Péré’s memorial service was held Jan. 8 at St. Francis de Sales Co-Cathedral in Houma, Louisiana.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of New Orleans ?
Next time we write about University of New Orleans, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Cost of college went up for all students at Brown University
- Graduates earn 2,293 degrees, certificates from Universidad del Este
- Graduates earn 330 degrees, certificates from Inter American University of Puerto Rico-Fajardo
- Cost of college went up for all students at Universidad Teologica del Caribe
- Graduates earn 543 degrees from University of Puerto Rico-Humacao
- Cost of college went up for all students at Trinity College of Puerto Rico
- Graduates earn 4,802 degrees, certificates from Lamar University
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at Escuela de Artes Plasticas y Diseno de Puerto Rico
- Graduates earn 142 degrees, certificates from Columbia Central University-Yauco
- Graduates earn 192 degrees from Instituto Tecnologico de Puerto Rico-Recinto de Guayama