Concordia University of Austin, Texas is mourning the passing of history professor Debra Allen, who died surrounded by her family in Michigan Jan. 9.
Allen served the private Lutheran university from 1993 through the end of the Fall 2015 semester. As a professor, her specialty was in American diplomatic history, the American Civil War, and U.S.-Poland relations. Allen also filled a number of leadership roles at the university, including interim vice president of academic services, assistant to the academic VP, chair of the council of professors, and director of the history department.
During her academic career, Allen won two highly-coveted Fulbright grants. The first was for studies in Aachen, Germany, and the second funded her teaching in Poland at the University of Warsaw’s American Studies Center.
Allen also penned numerous works on history, including her latest – The Historical Dictionary of U.S. Diplomacy from the Revolution to Secession.
A native of Michigan, Allen was born in 1957. She completed her bachelor’s degree at Tennessee Technological University in 1979. Allen earned her master’s at Michigan State University in 1982 and went on to receive a Ph.D from the University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana in 1992.
Allen’s memorial service was held Wednesday at Hope Lutheran Church in Austin.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Concordia University Texas ?
Next time we write about Concordia University Texas, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- ASHFORD UNIVERSITY: Ashford University Launches New Bachelor's Degree in Computer Software Technology
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Amanda Bailey to lead human resources at Brown
- NORTH CENTRAL COLLEGE:James A. McDermet named chair of North Central College’s Board of Trustees
- UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS AMHERST: Associated General Contractors of Massachusetts Creates Endowment for Building and Construction Technology Program at UMass
- BRADLEY UNIVERSITY: Seven Bradley Teams Receive Academic Recognition
- GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY: Georgetown's Beloved Howard Gray, S.J., Remembered at Memorial Mass
- BRIDGEWATER COLLEGE(VA): Bridgewater College approves Masters of Art in Digital Media Strategy
- UNIVERSITY OF EVANSVILLE: UE Announces the Creation of a New Center for Innovation & Change
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY: University of Mary Launches New ‘Marauders Armada’ to Fund Athletic Scholarships
- Analysis: College men's golf grosses $173 million