The University of Evansville’s arts programs were big winners at the 2015 Arts Council of Southwestern Indiana Art Awards, taking home three individual awards for artistic contribution to the region.
Evansville’s music programs garnered two of those awards.
Dennis Malfatti, the university’s director of choral activities, was honored with the title of Arts Educator of the Year in recognition of the transformational power he has over his students.
“To say Dr. Malfatti made a significant positive impact on my undergraduate experience would be an understatement,” one recent music graduate said. “I have never known a choir director to be so passionate about what he does, and he instills that passion in his students. He hold us to the highest standards of musicianship and discipline and we are all better musicians and students because of it.”
Students and faculty of the University of Evansville Opera also received the Ensemble of the Year Award under the tutelage of associate music professor Jon Truitt. Jack Schriber, chair of the Arts Awards committee, said Truitt’s dedication to his students is remarkable.
“Teaching a full load of applied voice majors, he always has his students’ well-being at heart,” Schriber said. “Exhibiting never-ending energy and optimism, he is demanding of his students, but always encouraging and patient.”
The final honor went to Evansville trustee Bob Jones and his wife, Lisa, who were named Arts Advocates of the Year for their contributions to the school’s highly touted theater programs.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of Evansville ?
Next time we write about University of Evansville, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Cost of college went up for all students at International Technical College
- Graduates earn 592 degrees, certificates from Columbia Central University-Caguas
- Graduates earn 3,928 degrees, certificates from American University
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at Modern Hairstyling Institute-Bayamon
- Graduates earn 240 degrees, certificates from Ponce Health Sciences University
- Cost of college went up for all students at Georgetown University
- Graduates earn 2,072 degrees from Rice University
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at Modern Hairstyling Institute-Carolina
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at Colegio Universitario de San Juan
- Cost of college went up for all students at Universidad Central de Bayamon