Fordham University professor David Swinarski was earning his doctorate in math -- studying subatomic particles -- when he first became interested in computers.
He knew an equation he was working with would become too big and too complicated to be handled while working only with pen and paper. This is when the then-Columbia University student decided to turn to computers for help. It turned out to be a very fruitful endeavor.
Now, Swinarski is looking to combine computer science and math into one major. The assistant professor of mathematics maintains that the two majors could work well as one, especially with the advancements that have been made in computing power.
“It’s not that they’re converging," Swinarski said. "It’s just that maybe the division between them has always been a little artificial,"
This epiphany has led to a lot of new possibilities. Computers have become a very important part of his research, especially when it comes to developing equations for his work in mathematics.
The new major would provide students with more opportunities in studies where computer science and math intersect. This would provide them with real world experience and get them ready for a job market that is moving toward using technology more, especially in the math field.
The approval from the state to combine the majors is still pending.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Fordham University ?
Next time we write about Fordham University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- ASHFORD UNIVERSITY: Ashford University Launches New Bachelor's Degree in Computer Software Technology
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Amanda Bailey to lead human resources at Brown
- NORTH CENTRAL COLLEGE:James A. McDermet named chair of North Central College’s Board of Trustees
- UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS AMHERST: Associated General Contractors of Massachusetts Creates Endowment for Building and Construction Technology Program at UMass
- BRADLEY UNIVERSITY: Seven Bradley Teams Receive Academic Recognition
- GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY: Georgetown's Beloved Howard Gray, S.J., Remembered at Memorial Mass
- BRIDGEWATER COLLEGE(VA): Bridgewater College approves Masters of Art in Digital Media Strategy
- UNIVERSITY OF EVANSVILLE: UE Announces the Creation of a New Center for Innovation & Change
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY: University of Mary Launches New ‘Marauders Armada’ to Fund Athletic Scholarships
- Analysis: College men's golf grosses $173 million