Florida State University electrical and computer engineering professor Jianping "Jim" Zheng has been elected to the National Academy of Inventors (NAI).
Zheng, known for his work on energy storage materials and devices, is one of 581 people to ever receive the honor.
"I'm very surprised and honored," Zheng said. "This is a lifetime achievement award for innovation."
Election as an NAI fellow is given to academic inventors who have demonstrated a prolific spirit of innovation. Zheng has 15 patents, one of which is a lithium-ion super capacitor designed for rapid energy storage and delivery. It has been used by the Army for radio systems.
He has also worked with FSU's High Performance Materials Institute to develop more efficient fuel cells from buckypaper, an extremely lightweight material made from carbon nanotubes. Those fuel cells are being used by Tallahassee's bus system.
"Professor Zheng is a leader in engineering, and he is highly deserving of this award that honors his highly inventive work," Bruce Locke, interim dean of the Florida A&M University-Florida State University College of Engineering, said. "The College of Engineering is very fortunate to have Professor Zheng on the faculty where he contributes to the education of many undergraduate and graduate students through his courses and his research and commercialization activities."
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Florida State University ?
Next time we write about Florida State University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- ASHFORD UNIVERSITY: Ashford University Launches New Bachelor's Degree in Computer Software Technology
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Amanda Bailey to lead human resources at Brown
- NORTH CENTRAL COLLEGE:James A. McDermet named chair of North Central College’s Board of Trustees
- UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS AMHERST: Associated General Contractors of Massachusetts Creates Endowment for Building and Construction Technology Program at UMass
- BRADLEY UNIVERSITY: Seven Bradley Teams Receive Academic Recognition
- GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY: Georgetown's Beloved Howard Gray, S.J., Remembered at Memorial Mass
- BRIDGEWATER COLLEGE(VA): Bridgewater College approves Masters of Art in Digital Media Strategy
- UNIVERSITY OF EVANSVILLE: UE Announces the Creation of a New Center for Innovation & Change
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY: University of Mary Launches New ‘Marauders Armada’ to Fund Athletic Scholarships
- Analysis: College men's golf grosses $173 million