Brown University's Alpert Medical School students spend part of their falls mentoring disadvantaged teens as they guide them through research projects.
Teens are chosen in the fall and assisted in planning a future that involves medicine or a related field. In January, the mentees present the guided research, which helps to introduce them to the possibilities for careers in the field of medicine.
Students from Rhode Island high schools gather for the presentations, along with medical professors, students, teachers and family members. Each mentee has displays, such as posters and PowerPoint presentations, that are professionally organized with the help of their mentors.
Often, the program inspires teens in high school to pursue a career they would otherwise have not considered or not even known about. It helps to awaken passions a student might not have realized existed prior to the specialized, personal attention shown throughout the process.
The program curriculum includes four three-hour meetings, held monthly during the fall. Lessons and demonstrations occur at each session, with topics including anatomy, surgical and emergency cases, and typical procedures such as intubation. Often, the teens are so greatly affected by the experience that they join the program later in their collegiate careers as mentors.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Brown University ?
Next time we write about Brown University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- ALMA COLLEGE: Alma College suspends SAT/ACT testing requirements for admission
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: Three Public Health Professors Join the Fight Against COVID-19
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: Help Urgently Needed for Students During Coronavirus Crisis
- ALMA COLLEGE: Alma College Establishes Coronavirus Mitigation and Relief Fund
- ANDREWS UNIVERSITY: Following recent testing, Berrien County Health Department & Spectrum Health Lakeland confirm two cases of COVID-19
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: Important Information for Students About Classes
- ALMA COLLEGE: Board of Trustees Approve Faculty Tenure, Promotions for 2020-2021 Academic Year
- GADSDEN STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE: Gadsden State Priority Registration for Summer begins March 18
- EASTERN MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY: Graduate Open House: Knowledge is Power to be Held Match 21
- ADTALEM GLOBAL EDUCATION INC.: Financial Institutions Gain New Tool to Enhance Cyber Intelligence and Combat Money Laundering