This year's National Blue Key Honor Society conference named Alyxandria Schwarzwalder, a senior from North Central College in Illinois, winner of the Gregory Lee Smith Exemplary Blue Key Member Award.
The award is granted to students who exhibit leadership and service while in the Blue Key chapter.
plans to graduate from a five-year program in 2017, after having earned her B.A in organizational communication and her M.A in leadership studies.
Her experiences has primed her for the recognition, as she interned at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida last year, and currently serves in the Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago and Northwest Illinois membership and member services departments. Through these opportunities, she has had the ability to understand the leadership styles that exist and how they benefit an organization.
“I observed a multitude of different leadership styles while I was at Disney. I focused a lot on teamwork and servant leadership, which ultimately ties to my interest in authentic leadership,” Schwarzwalder said.
This year's conference was held at Kansas State University, and in addition to the recognition, Schwarzwalder has also been granted a $1,000 scholarship.
Organizations in this story
North Central College 30 N Brainard St Naperville, IL - 60540
- Texas, D.C. rank highest in revenue generated by college athletics
- Dallas series will look into your mind
- Climate change called more catastrophic on mountains
- Brown provost joins public outcry over immigrant ban
- University sponsors wide-ranging business conference
- Gallery shows off variety of student artwork
- Pence taps South Dakota grad as security adviser
- 'Students-first' educators earn annual honors
- Professor puts underserved children on her radar
- South Dakota has prescription for family medicine success