Transylvania University was recently honored with a grant for $204,769 from the Dixon family through the Dixon/White Theater Fund.
The funds will allow the theater to offer such features as free tickets and workshops that will increase community involvement. It will also facilitate Project One, a university plan to make the campus more welcoming and accepting of diversity.
“These funds offer students co-curricular experiences that complement our work in the classroom and in production," Michael Dixon said. "For example, we’re initiating a lecture series to address issues of diversity in world theater. And each year we’ll provide funding for students to travel somewhere in the world to experience theatrical events in other cultures. It’s definitely mind-expanding, and it could be mind-blowing."
The university's theater has produced impressive stage performances through the work of storyteller Kevin Kling, the American Shakespeare Center and Kristi Hughes, a German puppet performer.
"These funds provide incredible new opportunities for Transylvania theater students," Program Director Sullivan White said. "This project gives students the opportunity to observe and work alongside professionals who are pursuing careers in the American theater."
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Transylvania University ?
Next time we write about Transylvania University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- ASHFORD UNIVERSITY: Ashford University Launches New Bachelor's Degree in Computer Software Technology
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Amanda Bailey to lead human resources at Brown
- NORTH CENTRAL COLLEGE:James A. McDermet named chair of North Central College’s Board of Trustees
- UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS AMHERST: Associated General Contractors of Massachusetts Creates Endowment for Building and Construction Technology Program at UMass
- BRADLEY UNIVERSITY: Seven Bradley Teams Receive Academic Recognition
- GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY: Georgetown's Beloved Howard Gray, S.J., Remembered at Memorial Mass
- BRIDGEWATER COLLEGE(VA): Bridgewater College approves Masters of Art in Digital Media Strategy
- UNIVERSITY OF EVANSVILLE: UE Announces the Creation of a New Center for Innovation & Change
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY: University of Mary Launches New ‘Marauders Armada’ to Fund Athletic Scholarships
- Analysis: College men's golf grosses $173 million