The Insulin Resistance Intervention after Stroke (IRIS) trial conducted under the oversight of Dr. Karen Furie, Brown University's Neurology Department chair, has produced results showing the correlation between a particular medication used to treat insulin resistance and stroke victims.
The results were recently presented at the International Stroke Conference and published in the New England Journal of Medicine. The trial was funded by the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NNDS).
In the past, stroke patients have been frequently screened for diabetes, but Furie said this breakthrough discovery proved they should be screened for insulin resistance, another metabolic dysfunction that is a precursor to diabetes. In the trial with pioglitazone, 3,000 people from seven countries were randomly chosen to take the drug or a placebo. Under
otherwise standard care for the next five years, only 9 percent of patients on pioglitazone had a second stroke or a heart attack, a relative 24 percent reduction according to the NINDS.
based on the results of the study, it is likely to become standard practice after a stroke to screen patients for insulin resistance. This could lead to further discoveries in the connection between the two disorders.
Organizations in this story
Brown University 75 Waterman St Providence, RI - 02912
- LAWRENCE TECH: College of Management earns prestigious accreditation from AACSB
- Analysis: Missouri residents pay up to 49.8 percent less to attend Division I schools than peers in other states
- Analysis: Kentucky residents pay up to 31 percent less to attend Division I schools than peers in other states
- UCLA: Screenwriting lecturer wins award for film, publishes book
- Analysis: Nebraska residents pay up to 43 percent less to attend Division I schools than peers in other states
- Analysis: Ohio residents pay up to 39 percent less to attend Division I schools than peers in other states
- TENNESSEE TECH: New provost and vice president for enrollment management approved
- OAKLAND UNIVERSITY: Board of Trustees appoints two to rank of Distinguished Professor
- Oakland University: Oakland University President selects Westfall as VP for University Advancement
- Analysis: Indiana residents pay about a third less to attend Division I schools than peers in other states