The Insulin Resistance Intervention after Stroke (IRIS) trial conducted under the oversight of Dr. Karen Furie, Brown University's Neurology Department chair, has produced results showing the correlation between a particular medication used to treat insulin resistance and stroke victims.
The results were recently presented at the International Stroke Conference and published in the New England Journal of Medicine. The trial was funded by the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NNDS).
In the past, stroke patients have been frequently screened for diabetes, but Furie said this breakthrough discovery proved they should be screened for insulin resistance, another metabolic dysfunction that is a precursor to diabetes. In the trial with pioglitazone, 3,000 people from seven countries were randomly chosen to take the drug or a placebo. Under
otherwise standard care for the next five years, only 9 percent of patients on pioglitazone had a second stroke or a heart attack, a relative 24 percent reduction according to the NINDS.
based on the results of the study, it is likely to become standard practice after a stroke to screen patients for insulin resistance. This could lead to further discoveries in the connection between the two disorders.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Brown University ?
Next time we write about Brown University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- ALMA COLLEGE: Alma College suspends SAT/ACT testing requirements for admission
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: Three Public Health Professors Join the Fight Against COVID-19
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: Help Urgently Needed for Students During Coronavirus Crisis
- ALMA COLLEGE: Alma College Establishes Coronavirus Mitigation and Relief Fund
- ANDREWS UNIVERSITY: Following recent testing, Berrien County Health Department & Spectrum Health Lakeland confirm two cases of COVID-19
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: Important Information for Students About Classes
- ALMA COLLEGE: Board of Trustees Approve Faculty Tenure, Promotions for 2020-2021 Academic Year
- GADSDEN STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE: Gadsden State Priority Registration for Summer begins March 18
- EASTERN MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY: Graduate Open House: Knowledge is Power to be Held Match 21
- ADTALEM GLOBAL EDUCATION INC.: Financial Institutions Gain New Tool to Enhance Cyber Intelligence and Combat Money Laundering