The Insulin Resistance Intervention after Stroke (IRIS) trial conducted under the oversight of Dr. Karen Furie, Brown University's Neurology Department chair, has produced results showing the correlation between a particular medication used to treat insulin resistance and stroke victims.
The results were recently presented at the International Stroke Conference and published in the New England Journal of Medicine. The trial was funded by the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NNDS).
In the past, stroke patients have been frequently screened for diabetes, but Furie said this breakthrough discovery proved they should be screened for insulin resistance, another metabolic dysfunction that is a precursor to diabetes. In the trial with pioglitazone, 3,000 people from seven countries were randomly chosen to take the drug or a placebo. Under
otherwise standard care for the next five years, only 9 percent of patients on pioglitazone had a second stroke or a heart attack, a relative 24 percent reduction according to the NINDS.
based on the results of the study, it is likely to become standard practice after a stroke to screen patients for insulin resistance. This could lead to further discoveries in the connection between the two disorders.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Brown University ?
Next time we write about Brown University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Ohio State latest Big 10 school hit by multiple sexual abuse scandals
- These schools have the worst 'on time' graduation rates in the U.S.
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Frances Arnold Named to Pontifical Academy of Sciences by Pope Francis
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Four Samford Alumni Honored at Annual Candlelight Dinner During Homecoming
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: Life-Changing News: Adelphi Named a U.S. News Top Performer on Social Mobility
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Krispy Kreme Fundraiser to be Held November 14
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Interfaith Council Meeting to be Held November 6
- BETHANY COLLEGE: Junior Preview Day to be Held November 15
- Which U.S. schools receive the least state student aid?
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Samford Athletics Ranks Among Top Nationally for Graduation Success Rate in Latest NCAA Report