Thirteen students participating in Boise State University’s service-learning program will be awarded the John Wesley Powell Prize, an honor bestowed on those who have made an outstanding achievement in the field of historic preservation projects.
The students began designing the project around restoration of Minidoka National Historic Site, one of the largest and most remote Japanese relocation compounds of World War II. It was one of 10 such locations in the United States, housing at its peak 9,000 of the 120,000 Japanese Americans interred during the war.
Amy Moll, dean of the College of Engineering at Boise State, said that the project is an excellent example of how the educational experience can be heightened through service-learning. In this case, project management and construction skills were coupled with a clearer understanding of local history.
The students, aided by members of the Construction Management Association, built the guard tower in Jerome County in 2014. The students were responsible for the management and construction of the entire structure, with faculty providing the supervision. Students also created and presented estimates and orders for materials and planned out progress, completing the structure on their own.
The award will be presented to the students in Baltimore on March 17 at the joint annual meeting of the National Council on Public History and the Society for History in the Federal Government.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Boise State University ?
Next time we write about Boise State University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Summit explores ways to best meet mental health needs of Rhode Island college students
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Magnetar Mysteries in our Galaxy and Beyond
- EMPORIA STATE UNIVERSITY: Kansas Teachers Achieve National Board Certification
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: Home Away From Home: Two International Students Share Their Stories
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Interfaith Project Meeting to be Held January 1
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Samford’s Beeson Divinity School to Host Conference on Racial Reconciliation with The Institute on Religion and Democracy
- Georgetown University has most student athletes in Washington, D.C.
- AARHUS UNIVERSITY: Aarhus University Hospital named Denmark's best hospital for the eleventh year running
- ADTALEM GLOBAL EDUCATION INC.: Adtalem Global Education Completes Divestitures of DeVry University and Carrington College
- Analysis: Which college golf program grossed the most in the U.S.