A new workshop at Boise State University was held recently to improve teachers' understanding of ways to integrate experiential learning into the classroom.
Often, students are expected to take home course content and apply it to life experiences, but there seems to be a distinct disconnect between the education and the application.
To help reduce the difficulty in using "book learning" in the "real world," new techniques inside the classroom are engaging students to interact with peers through activity-based assignments. To observe how much is actually retained from the learning experience, teachers assign a reflective essay assessing the lesson and what each student takes with them.
This new technique can be daunting for teachers who have no experience employing these tactics. The workshop at Boise State University, entitled "Integrating Experiential Reflection in the Classroom," was held recently in The Center for Teaching and Learning. It was geared to provide teachers with tools and theories that offer a broader understanding of experiential learning and how to integrate the reflection process into curriculum.
It modeled the process and provided a list of specific activities that can improve the connection between classroom instruction and reflection of knowledge in real world application, ready to plug and play.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Boise State University ?
Next time we write about Boise State University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- 42 percent of applicants to University of Florida were admitted for fall 2017
- Indian River State College enrolls 17,598 undergrads
- 64 percent of applicants to Rollins College were admitted for fall 2017
- Florida State College at Jacksonville enrolls 21,092 undergrads
- Arapahoe Community College enrolls 12,421 undergrads
- 50 percent of applicants to University of Central Florida were admitted for fall 2017
- 63 percent of applicants to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University-Worldwide were admitted for fall 2017
- 64 percent of applicants to Florida Gulf Coast University were admitted for fall 2017
- Polk State College enrolls 10,659 undergrads
- Valencia College enrolls 44,834 undergrads