Brigham Young University’s Shaquille Walker recently became one of seven All-American runners to break the 1 minute, 45 second mark in an 800-meter race at the Sun Angel Classic with a time of 1:44:99.
“We’ve been preparing for this for quite some time now,” Walker, who now ranks No. 1 in the nation, said. “I’ve been having dreams of what was going to happen in this race. It feels amazing to come out and perform well. It’s been an unreal night and I’m really grateful. It’s been a really good year having people support me – the trainers, Coach Ed Eyestone and my wife have been the biggest supports.”
Walker’s time made him the first athlete to drop under 1:45 since 2012, and broke his school record for the 800. Jesse White also posted the fourth-fastest 400-meter time in the country this season with a 45.92, and Shea Martinez-Collinsworth now ranks third in the nation after running the women’s 800 in 2:03:21.
“I was shocked after the race; I couldn’t believe it,” White said. “I thought the clock was broken. I was just so amazed. I clapped a couple times then kneeled down and said a little prayer and just thanked God for the opportunity because that’s where it all came from. I’m thankful for my teammate Shaquille who always knew I could do it. He always tells me that I’m going to go 1:45. We motivate each other and we fed off each other’s energy tonight.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Brigham Young University ?
Next time we write about Brigham Young University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- ASHFORD UNIVERSITY: Ashford University Launches New Bachelor's Degree in Computer Software Technology
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Amanda Bailey to lead human resources at Brown
- NORTH CENTRAL COLLEGE:James A. McDermet named chair of North Central College’s Board of Trustees
- UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS AMHERST: Associated General Contractors of Massachusetts Creates Endowment for Building and Construction Technology Program at UMass
- BRADLEY UNIVERSITY: Seven Bradley Teams Receive Academic Recognition
- GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY: Georgetown's Beloved Howard Gray, S.J., Remembered at Memorial Mass
- BRIDGEWATER COLLEGE(VA): Bridgewater College approves Masters of Art in Digital Media Strategy
- UNIVERSITY OF EVANSVILLE: UE Announces the Creation of a New Center for Innovation & Change
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY: University of Mary Launches New ‘Marauders Armada’ to Fund Athletic Scholarships
- Analysis: College men's golf grosses $173 million