Brigham Young University’s Shaquille Walker recently became one of seven All-American runners to break the 1 minute, 45 second mark in an 800-meter race at the Sun Angel Classic with a time of 1:44:99.
“We’ve been preparing for this for quite some time now,” Walker, who now ranks No. 1 in the nation, said. “I’ve been having dreams of what was going to happen in this race. It feels amazing to come out and perform well. It’s been an unreal night and I’m really grateful. It’s been a really good year having people support me – the trainers, Coach Ed Eyestone and my wife have been the biggest supports.”
Walker’s time made him the first athlete to drop under 1:45 since 2012, and broke his school record for the 800. Jesse White also posted the fourth-fastest 400-meter time in the country this season with a 45.92, and Shea Martinez-Collinsworth now ranks third in the nation after running the women’s 800 in 2:03:21.
“I was shocked after the race; I couldn’t believe it,” White said. “I thought the clock was broken. I was just so amazed. I clapped a couple times then kneeled down and said a little prayer and just thanked God for the opportunity because that’s where it all came from. I’m thankful for my teammate Shaquille who always knew I could do it. He always tells me that I’m going to go 1:45. We motivate each other and we fed off each other’s energy tonight.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Brigham Young University ?
Next time we write about Brigham Young University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- ALMA COLLEGE: Alma Art Prize Gets Student Artists Moving
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: How Context Affects Scene Processing to be Held September 25
- AUBURN UNIVERSITY: WoW Wednesdays: Visual Communication for Research (3MT) to be Held September 18
- BETHANY COLLEGE: Swedes Split on Day One of Baker International
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Caltech Faculty Honored with Breakthrough and New Horizons Prizes
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Samford Ranked Third in the Nation for Student Engagement by Wall Street Journal
- Sticker shock: Which 2-year U.S. schools charge the highest in-state tuition?
- Analysis: Which college ice hockey program grossed the most in the U.S.
- ALMA COLLEGE: Hispanic Heritage Month: Fiesta/Baile, Health Workshop
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: A Conversation with Magdalena Zernicka-Goetz