Brigham Young University’s Shaquille Walker recently became one of seven All-American runners to break the 1 minute, 45 second mark in an 800-meter race at the Sun Angel Classic with a time of 1:44:99.
“We’ve been preparing for this for quite some time now,” Walker, who now ranks No. 1 in the nation, said. “I’ve been having dreams of what was going to happen in this race. It feels amazing to come out and perform well. It’s been an unreal night and I’m really grateful. It’s been a really good year having people support me – the trainers, Coach Ed Eyestone and my wife have been the biggest supports.”
Walker’s time made him the first athlete to drop under 1:45 since 2012, and broke his school record for the 800. Jesse White also posted the fourth-fastest 400-meter time in the country this season with a 45.92, and Shea Martinez-Collinsworth now ranks third in the nation after running the women’s 800 in 2:03:21.
“I was shocked after the race; I couldn’t believe it,” White said. “I thought the clock was broken. I was just so amazed. I clapped a couple times then kneeled down and said a little prayer and just thanked God for the opportunity because that’s where it all came from. I’m thankful for my teammate Shaquille who always knew I could do it. He always tells me that I’m going to go 1:45. We motivate each other and we fed off each other’s energy tonight.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Brigham Young University ?
Next time we write about Brigham Young University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Florida State College at Jacksonville enrolls 21,092 undergrads
- Arapahoe Community College enrolls 12,421 undergrads
- 50 percent of applicants to University of Central Florida were admitted for fall 2017
- 63 percent of applicants to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University-Worldwide were admitted for fall 2017
- 64 percent of applicants to Florida Gulf Coast University were admitted for fall 2017
- Polk State College enrolls 10,659 undergrads
- Valencia College enrolls 44,834 undergrads
- Palm Beach State College enrolls 30,052 undergrads
- Gulf Coast State College enrolls 5,379 undergrads
- 60 percent of applicants to Florida Atlantic University were admitted for fall 2017