UT Dallas student media groups won 32 awards during the Texas Intercollegiate Press Association (TIPA) convention held March 31 through April 2 in Dallas.
The Mercury, the university’s student publication, brought home a first-place award for displaying overall excellence in Division 2, which includes a mix of daily and nondaily publications. The publication also won the division sweepstakes.
The newspaper was noted for excellence in several categories, including breaking news package, news feature story, Page One design, single subject design, sports action photo and sports feature story. The Mercury also won a number of second- and third-place awards and received several honorable mentions.
“Our students are collaborating on projects and developing partnerships between their print and broadcast organizations at an amazing rate,” Chad Thomas, director of student media at UT Dallas, said. “(It) really sets them apart from many of their counterparts at other colleges and universities.”
Esteban Bustillos, the Mercury’s editor-in-chief, was named Editor of the Year, marking the third consecutive year the award was given to a UT Dallas student.
“It was incredibly rewarding and humbling to see the work that the team has put in over the course of the past year be recognized as some of the best in the state,” Bustillos said. “I firmly believe we have one of the best staffs in college journalism, and our performance at TIPA solidifies that.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about UT-Dallas ?
Next time we write about UT-Dallas, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Summit explores ways to best meet mental health needs of Rhode Island college students
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Magnetar Mysteries in our Galaxy and Beyond
- EMPORIA STATE UNIVERSITY: Kansas Teachers Achieve National Board Certification
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: Home Away From Home: Two International Students Share Their Stories
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Interfaith Project Meeting to be Held January 1
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Samford’s Beeson Divinity School to Host Conference on Racial Reconciliation with The Institute on Religion and Democracy
- Georgetown University has most student athletes in Washington, D.C.
- AARHUS UNIVERSITY: Aarhus University Hospital named Denmark's best hospital for the eleventh year running
- ADTALEM GLOBAL EDUCATION INC.: Adtalem Global Education Completes Divestitures of DeVry University and Carrington College
- Analysis: Which college golf program grossed the most in the U.S.