UT Dallas student media groups won 32 awards during the Texas Intercollegiate Press Association (TIPA) convention held March 31 through April 2 in Dallas.
The Mercury, the university’s student publication, brought home a first-place award for displaying overall excellence in Division 2, which includes a mix of daily and nondaily publications. The publication also won the division sweepstakes.
The newspaper was noted for excellence in several categories, including breaking news package, news feature story, Page One design, single subject design, sports action photo and sports feature story. The Mercury also won a number of second- and third-place awards and received several honorable mentions.
“Our students are collaborating on projects and developing partnerships between their print and broadcast organizations at an amazing rate,” Chad Thomas, director of student media at UT Dallas, said. “(It) really sets them apart from many of their counterparts at other colleges and universities.”
Esteban Bustillos, the Mercury’s editor-in-chief, was named Editor of the Year, marking the third consecutive year the award was given to a UT Dallas student.
“It was incredibly rewarding and humbling to see the work that the team has put in over the course of the past year be recognized as some of the best in the state,” Bustillos said. “I firmly believe we have one of the best staffs in college journalism, and our performance at TIPA solidifies that.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about UT-Dallas ?
Next time we write about UT-Dallas, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- HOWARD UNIVERSITY: Howard University Hospital Names Crystal Wheeler As Chief People Officer
- Graduates earn 151 degrees from Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico-Arecibo
- Cost of college went up for all students at Universidad Adventista de las Antillas
- Graduates earn 527 degrees, certificates from Inter American University of Puerto Rico-Bayamon
- Cost of college went up for all students at Emporia State University
- ARKANSAS TECH UNIVERSITY: Blake Takes Leadership at Lake Point
- UNIVERSITY OF EVANSVILLE: UE Receives $100,000 Grant from Schell Foundation
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY: Jacobson returns to University of Mary after gaining NCAA Division I coaching experience
- AIR FORCE INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: AFIT offers course on Strategic Topics in Defense Innovation
- AUBURN UNIVERSITY: Auburn Agriculture, Extension name Phillips associate dean, assistant director