The University of South Dakota is celebrating Earth Day with a weeklong series of events put on by the university’s sustainability program and Greening Vermillion.
Earth Days, which will run through April 23, allows people and businesses within the community to celebrate and protect the planet. It features guest speakers, documentary screenings, and interactive and family events.
“There is a broad understanding that humans are having dramatic, and largely negative, impacts on our environment, and it is easy to feel powerless when faced with such large and complex problems,” USD Assistant Professor of Sustainability Meghann Jarchow, said. “Through Earth Days we hope to empower the Vermillion population to be positive agents of change for our environment.”
This year's Earth Days will feature a talk from U.S. Department of Agriculture entomologist Jonathon Lundgren and two screenings of "This Changes Everything," a documentary focusing on seven communities around the world severely impacted by climate change.
Other events include the Creation Care program, which sees local churches encourage environmental stewardship, an Earth Day Fair in the Muenster University, and the Ufford Family Farm Fun Day.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of South Dakota ?
Next time we write about University of South Dakota, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- HOWARD UNIVERSITY: Howard University Hospital Names Crystal Wheeler As Chief People Officer
- Graduates earn 151 degrees from Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico-Arecibo
- Cost of college went up for all students at Universidad Adventista de las Antillas
- Graduates earn 527 degrees, certificates from Inter American University of Puerto Rico-Bayamon
- Cost of college went up for all students at Emporia State University
- ARKANSAS TECH UNIVERSITY: Blake Takes Leadership at Lake Point
- UNIVERSITY OF EVANSVILLE: UE Receives $100,000 Grant from Schell Foundation
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY: Jacobson returns to University of Mary after gaining NCAA Division I coaching experience
- AIR FORCE INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: AFIT offers course on Strategic Topics in Defense Innovation
- AUBURN UNIVERSITY: Auburn Agriculture, Extension name Phillips associate dean, assistant director