Twelve Radford University students recently won McGlothlin Travel Grants worth $1,500 from the International Education Center to help fund individual foreign study experiences, which will see them travel to locations such as Malawi to Japan.
“When exposing one’s self to environments that are out of our comfort zone, we reveal to ourselves how much we don’t know,” Provost Joseph Scartelli said. “That takes courage. The payoffs are exponentially more beneficial than the risks or the costs. For those who truly love learning, and growing, these exposures are deeply rewarding and gratifying.”
The grant recipients were honored at the International Education Center’s Student Awards Ceremony, which also recognized senior students who took part in international education experiences in their time at Radford. The students who received the most recent round of grants will be traveling to sites including
Costa Rica, Peru, Poland, Russia, Scotland, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
"The most overlooked value of this experience appears upon the students’ return,” International Education Center Director Paul Currant said. “They all seem to remark upon the change in their perspectives and their deepened appreciation of home and their own American culture."
The McGlothlin Student Travel Grants are funded through the McGlothlin Endowment, which was created through a $1.5 million donation from the family of alumna Sally Ann Cook McGlothlin.
Organizations in this story
Radford University 801 East Main Street Radford, VA - 24142
- Texas, D.C. rank highest in revenue generated by college athletics
- Dallas series will look into your mind
- Climate change called more catastrophic on mountains
- Brown provost joins public outcry over immigrant ban
- University sponsors wide-ranging business conference
- Gallery shows off variety of student artwork
- Pence taps South Dakota grad as security adviser
- 'Students-first' educators earn annual honors
- Professor puts underserved children on her radar
- South Dakota has prescription for family medicine success