A group of staff, faculty, and students from Lamar University participated in the 25th annual Excellence in the Media competition at the Press Club of Southeast Texas on June 10.
The participants earned 12 trophies for first place, 11 awards for second place, nine awards for third place, and one honorable mention. In addition to these awards, Kade Harrington from
Lamar football has been chosen as the Southeast Texas Newsmaker of the Year.
First-place honors from the competition include Lauren Van Gervin for the general column piece “Campus carried away” and her news page design and layout for “New way of thinking”; Grant Crawford for the sports column article “Bringing pride to Cardinal nation”; Kevin McGhee’s general news titled “Bass Economics”; and McGhee and Caleb McFarland for their work on a documentary (“Dirt track life”) and video editing (“Beautiful mountain boarding.”)
Other recipients include Brian Sattler for his pieces titled “LU begins academic year with convocation” and “LU geologists: the evidence is in the details.”
The Press Club of Southeast Texas has professional members from Orange, Jefferson, and Hardin counties who are involved in academia, media, public relations, corporation communication, and public affairs and information.
The goal is to promote excellence by awarding outstanding individuals with a Newsmaker of the Year Award and other recognition at the annual Excellence in Media contest. The organization also supports Lamar University’s communication scholarships.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Lamar University ?
Next time we write about Lamar University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- ASHFORD UNIVERSITY: Ashford University Launches New Bachelor's Degree in Computer Software Technology
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Amanda Bailey to lead human resources at Brown
- NORTH CENTRAL COLLEGE:James A. McDermet named chair of North Central College’s Board of Trustees
- UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS AMHERST: Associated General Contractors of Massachusetts Creates Endowment for Building and Construction Technology Program at UMass
- BRADLEY UNIVERSITY: Seven Bradley Teams Receive Academic Recognition
- GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY: Georgetown's Beloved Howard Gray, S.J., Remembered at Memorial Mass
- BRIDGEWATER COLLEGE(VA): Bridgewater College approves Masters of Art in Digital Media Strategy
- UNIVERSITY OF EVANSVILLE: UE Announces the Creation of a New Center for Innovation & Change
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY: University of Mary Launches New ‘Marauders Armada’ to Fund Athletic Scholarships
- Analysis: College men's golf grosses $173 million