A University of Arkansas research team found that a Louisiana school voucher program has affected racial stratification in the state's public and private schools.
The study, which was published online in the Education and Urban Society journal this past month, says there was a federal lawsuit filed against Louisiana because the voucher program had allegedly harmed efforts to desegregate schools in the area.
"The results show that 82 percent of student transfers through the voucher system decreased racial stratification in public schools," Anna Egalite, the study's lead author, said. "At the same time, 55 percent of transfers increased racial stratification in private schools."
The university’s Department of Education Reform collected data for this study as a part of an evaluation for a Louisiana Scholarship Program to analyze the effects of voucher programs.
A district court ruled that the state voucher program would continue as long as state authorities provided demographic information on those who had vouchers, but that requirement was overturned in a later court ruling.
Egalite worked with fellow former Arkansas student Jon Mills and Professor Patrick Wolf.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of Arkansas ?
Next time we write about University of Arkansas, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Analysis: Which college golf program grossed the most in the U.S.
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA, HUNTSVILLE: UAH joins nationwide effort to increase college access, equity, and postsecondary attainment
- COLORADO SCHOOL OF MINES: Hydrology PhD student honored at AWRA conference
- RICE UNIVERSITY: 5 staff members honored with RICE MILE Award
- MIAMI UNIVERSITY-OXFORD: Miami's interior designer wins national awards
- 3 NY universities rank among schools with lowest drop in acceptance rates
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA, HUNTSVILLE: UAH welcomes Tobias Buckell noted science fiction author, visiting Eminent Scholar
- ST. NORBERT COLLEGE: Results of Recent Business Intelligence Survey by St. Norbert College to be Revealed at New North Summit
- College acceptance rates in top-rated schools plummet between 2006 and 2018
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA: UA to Offer State’s First MFA in Dance Program