Team members from the College of Nursing and Health Sciences at Ashland University recently earned the 2016 BAYADA Award for Innovation in Healthcare Education.
The recipients include Lisa Young, an assistant professor and the director of the university’s Simulation Center at Schar College of Nursing and Health Sciences and Faye Grund, the dean of Ashland’s College of Nursing Health and Sciences.
The BAYADA Awards, founded in 2004, are designed to honor nurses for their technological innovations for teaching and practicing nursing. This year’s recipients at Ashland created a virtual clinical experience to improve students’ cultural competence levels.
“They increased their cultural awareness and they learned nursing interventions that were needed in the community to improve outcomes,” Young said. “This is not the only area where health care providers can make an impact. If we can get into the communities we can affect change and improve outcomes.”
The program has been successful so far.
“We wanted our students to see a different population,” Young said. “The students were able to see that while the setting was different, there were some similarities in the needs of the patients. Access to care was a problem for both, just for different reasons. The environment and support systems were very different and the patient interventions had to focus on the needs of the patient and the cultural differences in each.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Ashland University ?
Next time we write about Ashland University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Graduates earn 2,376 degrees, certificates from University of Colorado Colorado Springs
- Graduates earn 230 degrees, certificates from Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at Charlie's Guard-Detective Bureau and Academy Inc
- Cost of college went up for all students at Berry College
- Graduates earn 9,226 degrees, certificates from George Washington University
- Cost of college went down for all students at Atenas College
- Cost of college went up for all students at University of Arkansas
- Graduates earn 125 degrees, certificates from ICPR Junior College-Mayaguez
- HOWARD UNIVERSITY: Howard University Hospital Names Crystal Wheeler As Chief People Officer
- Graduates earn 151 degrees from Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico-Arecibo