Team members from the College of Nursing and Health Sciences at Ashland University recently earned the 2016 BAYADA Award for Innovation in Healthcare Education.
The recipients include Lisa Young, an assistant professor and the director of the university’s Simulation Center at Schar College of Nursing and Health Sciences and Faye Grund, the dean of Ashland’s College of Nursing Health and Sciences.
The BAYADA Awards, founded in 2004, are designed to honor nurses for their technological innovations for teaching and practicing nursing. This year’s recipients at Ashland created a virtual clinical experience to improve students’ cultural competence levels.
“They increased their cultural awareness and they learned nursing interventions that were needed in the community to improve outcomes,” Young said. “This is not the only area where health care providers can make an impact. If we can get into the communities we can affect change and improve outcomes.”
The program has been successful so far.
“We wanted our students to see a different population,” Young said. “The students were able to see that while the setting was different, there were some similarities in the needs of the patients. Access to care was a problem for both, just for different reasons. The environment and support systems were very different and the patient interventions had to focus on the needs of the patient and the cultural differences in each.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Ashland University ?
Next time we write about Ashland University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Summit explores ways to best meet mental health needs of Rhode Island college students
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Magnetar Mysteries in our Galaxy and Beyond
- EMPORIA STATE UNIVERSITY: Kansas Teachers Achieve National Board Certification
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: Home Away From Home: Two International Students Share Their Stories
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Interfaith Project Meeting to be Held January 1
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Samford’s Beeson Divinity School to Host Conference on Racial Reconciliation with The Institute on Religion and Democracy
- Georgetown University has most student athletes in Washington, D.C.
- AARHUS UNIVERSITY: Aarhus University Hospital named Denmark's best hospital for the eleventh year running
- ADTALEM GLOBAL EDUCATION INC.: Adtalem Global Education Completes Divestitures of DeVry University and Carrington College
- Analysis: Which college golf program grossed the most in the U.S.