Mechanical engineering students from the University of Rhode Island recently earned first place at the University Design Competition for Addressing Airport Needs, a national contest that the Federal Aviation Administration sponsors.
Laura Coverse, Gilbert Resto and Cody McMillian
modified a tool that URI engineering students first created and won the contest with two years ago. The tool prevents plane wingtips from crashing with other aircrafts that are towed along the ground.
“The design was reviewed by a panel of experts from the FAA, industry and academia,’’ Lawrence Goldstein, senior program officer of the Transportation Research Board, said. “The review panel cited the team’s good design process that looked at a lot of ideas and tested them. There were good interactions with aircraft manufacturers and airport operators. The team also did an excellent job building on a winning design concept previously submitted by URI.’’
The winning students recently graduated from the university with their mechanical engineering degrees.
“This is an extremely challenging competition with the best universities in the United States participating,’’
URI engineering professor
Bahram Nassersharif said. “My students on this design team worked very hard and came up with a winning design proposal. I am very proud of them. This is our third consecutive first-place win at this annual competition. I think this speaks to the high caliber of our students, as well as the excellent mechanical engineering program at URI.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of Rhode Island ?
Next time we write about University of Rhode Island, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- 61% of students graduated on time at Illinois’ top two-year school in 2016
- Analysis: College women's basketball grosses $903 million
- March Madness money: How do women's teams in the tournament rank?
- Beauty schools report highest default rates on student loans
- Analysis: College men's basketball grosses $2 billion
- March Madness money: How do tournament teams rank?
- RICE UNIVERSITY: Axelrod, Rove to host Presidential Elections Program conference at Rice U.’s Baker Institute March 28
- CAMERON UNIVERSITY: Artwork by Cameron University Student Kathryn Carroll to be Exhibited in CU Sciences Complex
- COLORADO SCHOOL OF MINES: Mines joins growing network for entrepreneurial engineering
- IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY: Software aims to reduce food waste by helping those in need