Fordham University's Varieties of Understanding project concluded with a capstone conference on June 24.
This project, which focused on human understanding and the study of how it is developed, consisted of multidisciplinary research in psychology, philosophy and theology.
Fordham associate professor of philosophy Stephen Grimm helped the project to be funded by a $3.56 million grant from the John Templeton Foundation.
“We have helped found a new field of inquiry, the study of understanding,” Grimm said. “This vibrant new field has led to more inquiry, more discussions, more debates, all of which are helping to increase our understanding of understanding itself.”
Under the Varieties of Understanding project, 10 books and 52 journal articles were published in various publications. Forty additional articles presented were in the peer review stage.
During the three-day conference, several researchers associated with the project spoke, including Rutger philosophy professor Ernest Sosa and Yale professor of psychology and linguistics Frank Keil.
Novelist and essayist Marilynne Robinson also spoke on the nature of language and writing.
“We know language is alive, because it can be lifeless. It dies in captivity,” she said.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Fordham University ?
Next time we write about Fordham University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Group launches national campaign seeking justice for victims of predatory Ohio State doctor
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Brown urges Supreme Court to uphold DACA to benefit students, universities, nation
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: KAGRA to Join LIGO and Virgo in Hunt for Gravitational Waves
- BERRY COLLEGE: Lumen Lecture with Jennifer Frey to be Held October 10
- AUBURN UNIVERSITY: Auburn Faculty Research Symposium highlights innovative projects, from neuroscience to rural housing design to additive manufacturing
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Gift of $7 Million Will Support New Athletics Facility and Center for Israel Studies Fellowship
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: President Welcomes Everyone for the 2019-2020 Academic Year
- ALMA COLLEGE: Alma Art Prize Gets Student Artists Moving
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: How Context Affects Scene Processing to be Held September 25
- AUBURN UNIVERSITY: WoW Wednesdays: Visual Communication for Research (3MT) to be Held September 18