The University of Evansville has been awarded a grant from the Lilly Endowment Inc.’s High School Youth Theology Institutes initiative.
“The goals of the Lilly Endowment and the mission of the University of Evansville are complementary and we are extremely grateful for the generosity of the endowment,” Evansville President Tom Kazee said. “We have been fortunate to partner with Lilly in other initiatives at UE. As a Methodist-related institution, we much appreciate their support of our proposed theology institute for high school students.”
This grant will go toward supporting Open Table, a program that will focus on important religious texts and how this and other factors of the Christian tradition impacts life in modern society. The program will reach out to local Methodist churches in the area and will partner with religious organizations including the Temple Adath B’nai Israel and the Islamic Society of Evansville.
The university is among 92 institutions that are independent and those that fall under a multitude of denominations.
“[The colleges] have outstanding faculty in theology and religion who know how to help young people explore the wisdom of religious traditions and apply these insights to contemporary challenges,” Vice President for Religion at the Lilly Endowment Christopher Coble said.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of Evansville ?
Next time we write about University of Evansville, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- UTAH STATE UNIVERSITY: New Provost Named at Utah State University
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH DAKOTA: USD Alumna Uses Personal Experience to Spread Message of Financial Literacy
- ASHLAND UNIVERSITY: Ashland University’s Emerson Scholars Receive Recognition
- BERRY COLLEGE: Coyote Lecture April 23 at Oak Hill
- MIAMI UNIVERSITY-OXFORD: Randi Thomas and Diane Delisio receive Miami University's Distinguished Service Award
- UNIVERSITY OF TAMPA: UT’s Spring Dance Happening Runs April 25-27
- Analysis: College athletics grossed $31,832 per athlete in 2016
- UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO ANSCHUTZ MEDICAL CAMPUS: New law updates language related to dementia
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA: UA’s Urban Forest Earns ‘Tree Campus USA’ Times Three
- TULANE UNIVERSITY: Speaker to explore use of biology in creation of technology