The College of Nursing at the University of Massachusetts has been awarded an $870,000 grant from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to support the development of a training program for nursing students to carry out screenings, treatment referrals and brief intervention in cases of mental illness or cases involving substance abuse.
“We are optimistic about the SBIRT curricular approach to teaching behavior change,” Amherst’s principal investigator Donna Zucker said. “We believe SBIRT: The Power of Nursing to Change Health has great potential to impact the medical system and in the long run improve patient outcomes.”
This program was among 12 that received grant support from the Substance Abuse Mental Health Service Administration (SAMHSA).
“Ten years ago, I led the implementation of the university’s Brief Alcohol Screening and Intervention for College Students, or BASICS, program with SAMHSA-CSAT funding,”
Sally Linowski, the program's principal investigator, said. “That helped to upgrade UMass Amherst’s alcohol intervention programs for students to best practice. We’ve brought that team together with our nursing colleagues to continue this tradition of providing students with cutting-edge services and training opportunities.”
SBIRT will build on SAMHSA curricula and be implemented into courses on psychiatric and mental health through pediatric and young adult and community nursing.
Organizations in this story
University of Massachusetts Amherst 300 Massachusetts Ave Amherst, MA - 01003
- Texas, D.C. rank highest in revenue generated by college athletics
- Dallas series will look into your mind
- Climate change called more catastrophic on mountains
- Brown provost joins public outcry over immigrant ban
- University sponsors wide-ranging business conference
- Gallery shows off variety of student artwork
- Pence taps South Dakota grad as security adviser
- 'Students-first' educators earn annual honors
- Professor puts underserved children on her radar
- South Dakota has prescription for family medicine success