Boise State University's director of choral music Michael Porter recently took part in an American Choral Directors Association (ACDA) exchange program that saw him learn about the well-established choral tradition in South Korea.
“Each year the program focuses on a
different country, chosen for its strong choral traditions,” Porter said. “In
South Korea, choral music is part of their national identity. I was excited to
learn how robust South Korea’s music education system is.”
The International Conductors Exchange
Program began this year with an ACDA conference in Seoul, after which the seven
participating conductors, chosen through a peer-reviewed process including
applications and auditions, spent time with specific choirs throughout the
country. Porter traveled to Cheongju, where he worked with the city choir
conducted by Kee-Tae Kong. He also worked with church, school, children’s and
Porter is using the information he learned
in South Korea to inform his students at home at Boise State.
“I want students to understand that they
are not just U.S. citizens, but that they are global citizens,” he said, before
explaining the group context of choral music. “You’re in a situation where you
can’t do it on your own. You have to rely on the success of the person next to
you. It’s a selfless activity-- less of I and more of we.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Boise State University ?
Next time we write about Boise State University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Summit explores ways to best meet mental health needs of Rhode Island college students
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Magnetar Mysteries in our Galaxy and Beyond
- EMPORIA STATE UNIVERSITY: Kansas Teachers Achieve National Board Certification
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: Home Away From Home: Two International Students Share Their Stories
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Interfaith Project Meeting to be Held January 1
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Samford’s Beeson Divinity School to Host Conference on Racial Reconciliation with The Institute on Religion and Democracy
- Georgetown University has most student athletes in Washington, D.C.
- AARHUS UNIVERSITY: Aarhus University Hospital named Denmark's best hospital for the eleventh year running
- ADTALEM GLOBAL EDUCATION INC.: Adtalem Global Education Completes Divestitures of DeVry University and Carrington College
- Analysis: Which college golf program grossed the most in the U.S.