University of Massachusetts Amherst assistant professor of food chemistry Lili He recently snagged a place of honor in the latest issue of Chemical & Engineering News, where she was one 12 young chemists featured for solving scientific problems.
“This group is monitoring our food supply
for contaminants, tackling unyielding diseases such as Alzheimer’s, and finding
better ways to convert sunlight into electricity,” wrote the editors. “You’ll
want to keep an eye on these agents that, with the help of our advisers, we’ve
selected. We expect them to help safeguard the planet for future generations.
And unlike James Bond, they won’t need Q to outfit them with exotic gadgets for
saving the world. They can build their own.”
He, given the code-name “Contaminant
Catcher,” was selected for her work with surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy, which uses lasers and netallic nanoparticles to find small amounts of
targeted agents in complicated mixtures. This means that He is able to better
monitor and analyse food contaminants.
am very honored to have been chosen to be part of this special group,” He said.
“I appreciate the organizing committee for recognizing the value of chemists working
in food science applications.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of Massachusetts Amherst ?
Next time we write about University of Massachusetts Amherst, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- UNIVERSITY OF RHODE ISLAND: URI names new chief information officer
- RICE UNIVERSITY: Matt Bragga named Rice baseball coach
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA: UA Announces New Master’s Degree in Public Health
- TRANSYLVANIA UNIVERSITY: Moloney named as Transylvania’s new VP for marketing and communications
- HOWARD UNIVERSITY: Howard University Appoints Marcus Lyles As Executive Director Of Public Safety And Chief Of Police For The Department Of Public Safety
- PALM BEACH ATLANTIC UNIVERSITY: Lester Named Dean of School of Music & Fine Arts
- ASHFORD UNIVERSITY: Ashford University Launches New Master's Degree in Finance
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Rashid Zia named Brown’s new dean of the college
- RADFORD UNIVERSITY: Joyendu “Joy” Bhadury selected as dean of Radford University’s College of Business and Economics
- ASHLAND UNIVERSITY: Ashland University Establishes Center for Addictions; Hires Director