A University of Massachusetts at Amherst team of computer science researchers has developed a radio technology to improve the battery life of small mobile devices.
The development was outlined in a paper that the team presented at the Association for Computing Machinery’s special interest group on data communication conference Thursday in Florianopolis, Brazil.
Professor Deepak Ganesan introduced the audience to this radio technology, which enables small mobile devices to use the battery power of larger communication devices nearby.
“We take for granted the ability to offload storage and computation from our relatively limited personal computers to the resource-rich cloud,” Ganesan said. “In the same vein, it makes sense that devices should also be able to offload how much power they consume for communication to devices that have more energy.”
The prototype radio can be used to lengthen battery life in mass-market, small mobile devices, like smartwatches and fitness trackers. The scientists further hope that their research can implement “energy offload” techniques to lighten and shrink these devices for future inventions.
“Wearable devices are often bulky due to large batteries needed for adequate battery life,” Ganesan said. “Perhaps such energy offload techniques can reverse this trend and enable thinner and lighter devices.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of Massachusetts Amherst ?
Next time we write about University of Massachusetts Amherst, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- UNIVERSITY OF RHODE ISLAND: URI names new chief information officer
- RICE UNIVERSITY: Matt Bragga named Rice baseball coach
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA: UA Announces New Master’s Degree in Public Health
- TRANSYLVANIA UNIVERSITY: Moloney named as Transylvania’s new VP for marketing and communications
- HOWARD UNIVERSITY: Howard University Appoints Marcus Lyles As Executive Director Of Public Safety And Chief Of Police For The Department Of Public Safety
- PALM BEACH ATLANTIC UNIVERSITY: Lester Named Dean of School of Music & Fine Arts
- ASHFORD UNIVERSITY: Ashford University Launches New Master's Degree in Finance
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Rashid Zia named Brown’s new dean of the college
- RADFORD UNIVERSITY: Joyendu “Joy” Bhadury selected as dean of Radford University’s College of Business and Economics
- ASHLAND UNIVERSITY: Ashland University Establishes Center for Addictions; Hires Director