C-SPAN 3 will show a lecture from a professor at Iowa State University, discussing “From Parkways to Freeways: Modern Road Design” as a feature with the network’s back-to-school week of American History TV.
Heidi Homann, a landscape architecture associate professor, gave the lecture. The presentation discusses the various changes that have happened in how the U.S. has designed its roads since the 1800s. It is only recently that parkways (or park-like transportation corridors) have transformed to modern-day freeways.
This shift has made a significant change on how professional landscape architects work. Now curving, tree-lined roadways that display scenic natural landscapes have changed into faster, straighter highways that will handle more traffic.
Hohmann received her bachelor’s in molecular biophysics and biochemistry from Yale and earned her master of landscape architecture at Harvard University. In 2000, she stopped her urban designer private practice to teach at Iowa State University.
The program will air during the network’s weekend “Lectures in History” on Oct. 29 at 7 p.m. and 11 p.m. The lecture was first given in April in a “History of Modern Landscapes” class with 42 ISU landscape architecture students.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Iowa State University ?
Next time we write about Iowa State University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- CENTRAL MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY: Business teams in training
- COLLEGE OF CENTRAL FLORIDA: Resume Workshop to be Held February 20
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Cru Weekly Meeting to be Held February 14
- ADITALEM GLOBAL EDUCATION INC.: Latin-American Dance Inspires Alma Symphony Orchestra
- COLLEGE OF CENTRAL FLORIDA: Master Artist Workshop With Sue Primeau at the Appleton Museum of Art
- CLOUD COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE: CCCC receives grant from Sunderland Foundation
- CLOUD COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE: Zuzu African Acrobats next Cook Series performers
- CENTRAL MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY: Breaking alcohol’s death grip
- CAMERON UNIVERSITY: Cameron University online MBA program recognized by US News & World Report
- CENTRAL CONNECTICUT STATE UNIVERSITY: Macedonia in Synopsis