At the annual Outreach Day recently held on Aug. 27, Rice University students and community members partnered to help serve Houston.
Hosted by Rice’s Center for Civic Leadership (CCL) and the
Rice Student Volunteer Program (RSVP), Outreach Day was created to teach those
participating in the event about social issues that Houston is facing. It is
not seen as “one day of service,” but instead “Day One of service.”
The focus of this year’s Outreach Day was the Houston area
refugee resettlement with more than 200 Rice student’s teaming up with
Interfaith Ministries, Amaanah Refugee Services, Society of St. Vincent de
Paul, Plant it Forward and Sewa International Houston.
“The purpose was to highlight refugee contributions to the
city of Houston, increase awareness of refugee services and advertise future
volunteer opportunities for Rice students,” Outreach Day coordinator Thasha Uche said.
More information on the CCL and RSVP can be found at
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Rice University ?
Next time we write about Rice University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- CENTRAL MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY: Business teams in training
- COLLEGE OF CENTRAL FLORIDA: Resume Workshop to be Held February 20
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Cru Weekly Meeting to be Held February 14
- ADITALEM GLOBAL EDUCATION INC.: Latin-American Dance Inspires Alma Symphony Orchestra
- COLLEGE OF CENTRAL FLORIDA: Master Artist Workshop With Sue Primeau at the Appleton Museum of Art
- CLOUD COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE: CCCC receives grant from Sunderland Foundation
- CLOUD COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE: Zuzu African Acrobats next Cook Series performers
- CENTRAL MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY: Breaking alcohol’s death grip
- CAMERON UNIVERSITY: Cameron University online MBA program recognized by US News & World Report
- CENTRAL CONNECTICUT STATE UNIVERSITY: Macedonia in Synopsis