Brown University Provost Richard Locke and Vice President for Academic Development, Diversity and Inclusion Liza Cariaga-Lo recently sent a letter to the campus community detailing the university’s progress in implementing an action plan to increase diversity on campus.
“A vital feature of
the plan is that it was developed with broad community engagement, and the
intense work over the last several months reflects the participation of
faculty, students and staff dedicated to achieving the promise of the Diversity
and Inclusion Action Plan,” Locke and Cariaga-Lo wrote.
The action plan,
developed through a campus-wide process, was released in February 2016. Since
then, the university has worked to diversify staff, expand financial support
and other resources for students from low-income families and developed
diversity and inclusion action plans customized to each department.
departmental plans present a wealth of innovative initiatives to increase the
diversity of our community, enrich Brown’s curriculum to engage more
effectively on issues of race, ethnicity, power and privilege, and to promote
an environment in which a full range of ideas and perspectives can flourish,”
Locke and Cariaga-Lo wrote. “While we have much work to do to realize the
vision outlined in the Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan, we are confident
that by continuing to work collaboratively and in earnest, together we will
reach our aspirations.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Brown University ?
Next time we write about Brown University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Graduates earn 344 degrees, certificates from CEM College-San Juan
- Cost of college went up for all students at University of Puerto Rico-Ponce
- Graduates earn 2,191 degrees, certificates from Howard University
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at IVAEM College
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at Educational Technical College-Recinto de Bayamon
- Graduates earn 198 degrees from Strayer University-District of Columbia
- Cost of college went up for all students at Escuela Hotelera de San Juan
- Graduates earn 94 degrees from Caribbean University-Carolina
- Cost of college went up for all students at Inter American University of Puerto Rico-Ponce
- Cost of college went up for resident students at University of Puerto Rico-Aguadilla