The University of Texas Dallas opened the "Jewish Refugees in Shanghai" exhibit today with support from the Ackerman Center for Holocaust Studies and the Confucius Institute.
The exhibit is on display in the first-floor gallery of the
Edith O'Donnell Arts and Technology Building until Sept. 30. It tells
the story of the migration of the Jews from Europe to Shanghai, one of the few
places that accepted Jewish refugees from Nazi persecution. The exhibition includes personal stories
of the refugees, photographs and artifacts on loan from the Shanghai Jewish
Refugees Museum. The museum is at the former site of the Ohel Moshe
Director of the Shanghai Center for International Studies Pan Guang will lecture on the history of Jews in China and the cultural exchange that ensued on Saturday.
“Professor Guang is one of the top scholars of Jewish
studies in China, especially known for his deep knowledge of Chinese Jews in
history,” Confucius Institute Director Ming Dong Gu said. “His lecture will
situate the Jews in Shanghai exhibition into the larger context of Jewish
migration to China over history and offer a fresh perspective to viewing Jewish
refugees in Shanghai during World War II.”
"The Shanghai Ghetto" and "A Gift of
Life" will be shown at 4 p.m. on Sunday. "Wind from the East,"
a Chinese folk music concert, will be held on Sept. 25. The UT Dallas Confucius
Institute Folk Music Band and the art troupe from Bejing Normal University will
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about UT-Dallas ?
Next time we write about UT-Dallas, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Summit explores ways to best meet mental health needs of Rhode Island college students
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Magnetar Mysteries in our Galaxy and Beyond
- EMPORIA STATE UNIVERSITY: Kansas Teachers Achieve National Board Certification
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: Home Away From Home: Two International Students Share Their Stories
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Interfaith Project Meeting to be Held January 1
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Samford’s Beeson Divinity School to Host Conference on Racial Reconciliation with The Institute on Religion and Democracy
- Georgetown University has most student athletes in Washington, D.C.
- AARHUS UNIVERSITY: Aarhus University Hospital named Denmark's best hospital for the eleventh year running
- ADTALEM GLOBAL EDUCATION INC.: Adtalem Global Education Completes Divestitures of DeVry University and Carrington College
- Analysis: Which college golf program grossed the most in the U.S.