Emporia State University will hold an inauguration celebration for the school’s 17th president, Allison Garrett, Friday.
“A presidential Inauguration is an opportunity to celebrate the transition to the next era for Emporia State,” Jennifer Denton, inauguration co-chair and associate vice president for advancement, said. “It was also important to President Garrett that we highlight the talents of our faculty and students, so we’ve kept that in mind when planning the Inaugural events. The inauguration is a partnership between the community and Emporia State.”
A pre-inauguration event will be Thursday at 7:30 p.m. Fred Gray Sr., a civil rights attorney who supported Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Rosa Parks, will give a presentation. Cuba Gooding Jr. portrayed Gray in
the 2014 film “Selma."
“So many people have had a hand in the planning of this event and we know that it will be an event to remember,” Inauguration Committee
Jim Bartruff said. “A committee comprised of community, faculty, staff and support personnel have all come together to make this a real community celebration. We are hoping for good weather and a real celebration of all that is great about Emporia and our university.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Emporia State University ?
Next time we write about Emporia State University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- UTAH STATE UNIVERSITY: New Provost Named at Utah State University
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH DAKOTA: USD Alumna Uses Personal Experience to Spread Message of Financial Literacy
- ASHLAND UNIVERSITY: Ashland University’s Emerson Scholars Receive Recognition
- BERRY COLLEGE: Coyote Lecture April 23 at Oak Hill
- MIAMI UNIVERSITY-OXFORD: Randi Thomas and Diane Delisio receive Miami University's Distinguished Service Award
- UNIVERSITY OF TAMPA: UT’s Spring Dance Happening Runs April 25-27
- Analysis: College athletics grossed $31,832 per athlete in 2016
- UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO ANSCHUTZ MEDICAL CAMPUS: New law updates language related to dementia
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA: UA’s Urban Forest Earns ‘Tree Campus USA’ Times Three
- TULANE UNIVERSITY: Speaker to explore use of biology in creation of technology