The National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics has named the Athletic Department at Simpson University a five-star Champions of Character institution.
Simpson was the recipient of a bronze medallion when
the NAIA announced the qualifying institutions in a list that included 171
schools. The California Pacific Conference, the conference that Simpson’s
athletics compete in, was named a five-star conference honoree as well.
"When I was hired a year ago, I set this as one of our
highest priorities for department goals," Athletics Director Tom Gabraith said. "The medallion award is a testament to the hard
work our student-athletes, coaches, and staff do outside of the field of
competition to better serve the Redding community and live out our Simpson
University mission of service to others."
Institutions that receive five-star Champions of Character
do so based on a wide variety of criteria. This criteria includes character
training, athlete conduct during competitions, focus on academics, character
recognition and the promotion of character.
The five stars are the symbols that
were chosen to represent integrity, respect, responsibility, sportsmanship and
student leadership. Student-athletes, coaches and athletic professionals
receive training related to these five values by the Champions of Character
Organizations in this story
Simpson University (Calif.) 2211 College View Drive Redding, CA - 96003
- Texas, D.C. rank highest in revenue generated by college athletics
- Dallas series will look into your mind
- Climate change called more catastrophic on mountains
- Brown provost joins public outcry over immigrant ban
- University sponsors wide-ranging business conference
- Gallery shows off variety of student artwork
- Pence taps South Dakota grad as security adviser
- 'Students-first' educators earn annual honors
- Professor puts underserved children on her radar
- South Dakota has prescription for family medicine success