Iowa State University assistant professor of psychology Alison Phillips recently published research on the need for intrinsic rewards in developing an exercising habit, as opposed to cues or external rewards.
“If someone doesn’t
like to exercise it’s always going to take convincing,” Phillips said. “People
are more likely to stick with exercise if they don’t have to deliberate about
whether or not to do it.”
rewards, such as weight loss, are excellent motivation for a person to being a
workout regimen, they are typically not enough to develop a a long-term habit.
Instead, Phillips found that intrinsic rewards, such as physiological benefits
from endorphins or simply enjoying time spent with a friend, are necessary for
people to form habits such that they do not debate whether or not they should
exercise when given a cue.
“What we’re aiming for
is lifestyle change and interventions to date have not achieved these long-term
lifestyle changes,” Phillips said. “There are fairly simple strategies that
have not yet been tried to help people develop exercise habits for life.
Although the strategies may be easy, implementing and sticking to them may prove
quite difficult. It may be a classic high-risk, high-reward endeavor.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Iowa State University ?
Next time we write about Iowa State University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Analysis: 58,361 college athletes play baseball
- UTAH STATE UNIVERSITY: New Provost Named at Utah State University
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY: Energy Transfer/Sunoco Foundation and Energy Transfer Partners Donate $5 Million to the University of Mary
- COLORADO SCHOOL OF MINES: Clarke wins NSF CAREER grant for advanced steel research
- BUTLER UNIVERSITY: Retailing's Loss Was Biology's Gain
- CONCORDIA UNIVERSITY TEXAS: A seemingly perpetual student's view on grad school experience
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA, HUNTSVILLE: Team Chargernaut takes first place in NASA Human Exploration Rover Challenge
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA: Parkway to Close April 27-28 for USA Triathlon
- 114,405 U.S. borrowers in default on student loans from private, nonprofit schools
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA, HUNTSVILLE: Alumnus’ firm in forefront of private Wi-Fi, Internet in space