Michael Norman, a Ph.D. student in the University of New Orleans' Department of Special Education and Habilitative Services, has received a $900,000 grant for his research on improving educational delivery to preschoolers who are hearing impaired, as well as other students who have disabilities.
The grant from the Louisiana Department of Education is to create resources that will enable educators to better serve students, particularly preschoolers, who have hearing and communication struggles.
Until he graduates in December, Norman will be in charge of an interdisciplinary team of education and health professionals from throughout Louisiana. They will create a training curriculum to offer direct technical assistance to school districts. The team will also support individual students throughout Louisiana.
The work targets cochlear implants among preschoolers and several other disabilities among other students. These can include autism spectrum disorders, which typically cause students to lack communication skills at school.
Norman is a native of Louisiana and a long-time service provider in the New Orleans region. He currently organizes the Louisiana Deafblind Project for Children and Youth, and his work could change countless lives as students acquire more communication skills inside the classroom.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of New Orleans ?
Next time we write about University of New Orleans, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Guardian Credit Union FCS KickOff FanFest and Barbecue to be Held August 23
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Amgen Foundation Honors David Baltimore with Gift to Caltech
- The price of education: Which 2-year Colorado schools charge the lowest in-state tuition?
- Analysis: Which college wrestling program grossed the most in the U.S.
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Samford University Ranked No. 34 Nationally, Top in Alabama on Kiplinger’s “Best College Values” List
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Jennifer Lum Named Caltech General Counsel
- ALMA COLLEGE: Six STUNT Athletes Named All-Americans
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Plans to Prosper You: Reflections of Black Resistance and Resilience in Montgomery County's Potomac River Valley to be Held July 30
- ANDREWS UNIVERSITY: SCSD Receives Grant from Parkinson Voice Project
- BETHANY COLLEGE: Bethany Lands 12 Teams on Naia Scholar Teams List