This fall, the University of Texas Dallas included 33 new students into its Terry Scholars Program, which awards a sum that will exceed $3 million this year.
There are 23 freshmen in the group of students; four are National Merit Commended Scholars, and two others are salutatorians. One student is part of the Great Britain national baseball team, while another served as a translator for a TED Talk, making the Russian presentation available in English so that it could reach more listeners. Ten of the students are transfer scholarship recipients.
This is one of the biggest and most competitive classes involved in the program. There are 139 students in the Terry Scholars Program and in UT Dallas. Together, they will receive over $3 million in funding for 2016-17 alone.
“The Terry Foundation’s financial commitment extends the opportunity of higher education to outstanding Texas students who would not otherwise be able to attend college without incurring large debt,” Blythe Torres, the program’s director, said.
Since the program started in 2006, the Terry Foundation has awarded $10 million to 240 students at UT Dallas. This is a much larger group of students than the first 11 students who received scholarships in 2006. The ongoing growth of the program is a testimony to its success.
“At UT Dallas, we ensure the Terry Scholars Program facilitates the scholars’ intellectual, cultural and personal growth outside of the classroom as well,” Torres said. “Scholars participate in the Honors College events in the Dallas Arts District and in retreats, excursions and social gatherings.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about UT-Dallas ?
Next time we write about UT-Dallas, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Summit explores ways to best meet mental health needs of Rhode Island college students
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Magnetar Mysteries in our Galaxy and Beyond
- EMPORIA STATE UNIVERSITY: Kansas Teachers Achieve National Board Certification
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: Home Away From Home: Two International Students Share Their Stories
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Interfaith Project Meeting to be Held January 1
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Samford’s Beeson Divinity School to Host Conference on Racial Reconciliation with The Institute on Religion and Democracy
- Georgetown University has most student athletes in Washington, D.C.
- AARHUS UNIVERSITY: Aarhus University Hospital named Denmark's best hospital for the eleventh year running
- ADTALEM GLOBAL EDUCATION INC.: Adtalem Global Education Completes Divestitures of DeVry University and Carrington College
- Analysis: Which college golf program grossed the most in the U.S.