Ashland University’s Ashland Center for Nonviolence and the Ashland County Mental Health and Recovery Board co-sponsored a film screening of “Is Anybody Listening?” followed by a discussion of the film, which deals with war veterans' re-entry into their communities.
Paula Caplan, the filmmaker, facilitated the Thursday discussion.
Caplan developed the Welcome Johnny and
Jane Home Project to ease veterans’ entry back into their communities. The
project focuses on allowing veterans to tell their stories and have them
heard on a one-on-one basis. This strategy stems from Caplan’s belief that
veterans returning from war do not necessarily require psychotherapy and
psychiatric drugs associated with psychological disorders. Alternatively,
Caplan proposes, veterans should be welcomed back into their communities and
given an opportunity to have their stories heard one-on-one.
At the film screening and discussion, Caplan will explain how these conversations should be conducted. She hopes that they will trigger the healing process for veterans and lead to a national discussion on the realities of war.
The project is
currently recruiting veterans to take part.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Ashland University ?
Next time we write about Ashland University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Sticker shock: Which 2-year U.S. schools charge the lowest in-state tuition?
- Analysis: Which college ice hockey program grossed the most in the U.S.
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Guardian Credit Union FCS KickOff FanFest and Barbecue to be Held August 23
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Amgen Foundation Honors David Baltimore with Gift to Caltech
- The price of education: Which 2-year Colorado schools charge the lowest in-state tuition?
- Analysis: Which college wrestling program grossed the most in the U.S.
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Samford University Ranked No. 34 Nationally, Top in Alabama on Kiplinger’s “Best College Values” List
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Jennifer Lum Named Caltech General Counsel
- ALMA COLLEGE: Six STUNT Athletes Named All-Americans
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Plans to Prosper You: Reflections of Black Resistance and Resilience in Montgomery County's Potomac River Valley to be Held July 30