Brandon Stanton, the photographer who made his hobby a worldwide internet phenomenon called Humans of New York (HONY), recently spoke at the student-sponsored Distinguished Lecture Series at the University of Arkansas.
Stanton was the first speaker this fall. His free public lecture was scheduled for 7 p.m. Oct. 3 in Bud Walton Arena.
In his presentation, Stanton explained how he transformed a small idea for a blog into a phenomenon with over 22.5 million Instagram and Facebook followers. He takes pictures of New Yorkers and shares their story in just a handful of sentences. As of today, he has also photographed and written two bestselling books.
As part of his presentation, Stanton answered questions when his lecture was finished. All questions could be tweeted throughout the event.
The Distinguished Lecture Series, a student-sponsored program, chooses speakers according to selections form faculty, students and staff. All of the events are financed by a student-approved fee, which the Programs Allocation Board collects. Previous speakers include Daymond John, Bill Nye and Abby Wambach.
The goal is to broaden the perspective of students by bringing new knowledge, basic and applied research, economic development and creative activity to the campus.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of Arkansas ?
Next time we write about University of Arkansas, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- BRADLEY UNIVERSITY: Seven Bradley Teams Receive Academic Recognition
- GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY: Georgetown's Beloved Howard Gray, S.J., Remembered at Memorial Mass
- BRIDGEWATER COLLEGE(VA): Bridgewater College approves Masters of Art in Digital Media Strategy
- UNIVERSITY OF EVANSVILLE: UE Announces the Creation of a New Center for Innovation & Change
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY: University of Mary Launches New ‘Marauders Armada’ to Fund Athletic Scholarships
- Analysis: College men's golf grosses $173 million
- UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS: Spicher Joins U of A Development Team in Education, Health Professions
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH DAKOTA: USD Sanford Medical Student Recognized by U.S. Public Health Service
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA, HUNTSVILLE: UAH launches new scholarship program for financially disadvantaged STEM transfers
- Analysis: College softball grosses $451 million