To help research be recognized and read outside of peer-reviewed journals, the University of Texas at Dallas (UT Dallas) created ARTECA, an online reading platform that integrates the arts and humanities with science and technology.
Developed by ArtSciLab, the UT Dallas transdisciplinary research lab, the International Society for the Arts, Sciences and Technology (ISAST) and MIT Press, the platform is a curated online area for academic literature from several disciplines. It now includes over 200 books and gives readers access to three different journals from MIT Press.
“The ArtSciLab seeks to be a pioneer in the field of experimental publishing,” Dr. Roger Malina, Arts and Technology distinguished chair and director of the lab, said. “We hope to probe, test and experiment with new ways for professionals to document their work and show it to others. ARTECA provides a way for us to ‘beta test’ the future for the art-science-technology community.”
This new platform allows scholarly work to be read and honored even if it is not included in traditional academic journals.
“There are a lot of issues in how we disseminate research in academia,” alumnus Chaz Lilly, research assistant for the platform and doctoral candidate at the UT Dallas School of Arts, Technology and Emerging Communication, said. “We live in a digital world where online research and publishing is an immediate resource, but a lot of it doesn’t reach its audience without an access point.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about UT-Dallas ?
Next time we write about UT-Dallas, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- HOWARD UNIVERSITY: Howard University Hospital Names Crystal Wheeler As Chief People Officer
- Graduates earn 151 degrees from Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico-Arecibo
- Cost of college went up for all students at Universidad Adventista de las Antillas
- Graduates earn 527 degrees, certificates from Inter American University of Puerto Rico-Bayamon
- Cost of college went up for all students at Emporia State University
- ARKANSAS TECH UNIVERSITY: Blake Takes Leadership at Lake Point
- UNIVERSITY OF EVANSVILLE: UE Receives $100,000 Grant from Schell Foundation
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY: Jacobson returns to University of Mary after gaining NCAA Division I coaching experience
- AIR FORCE INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: AFIT offers course on Strategic Topics in Defense Innovation
- AUBURN UNIVERSITY: Auburn Agriculture, Extension name Phillips associate dean, assistant director