To help research be recognized and read outside of peer-reviewed journals, the University of Texas at Dallas (UT Dallas) created ARTECA, an online reading platform that integrates the arts and humanities with science and technology.
Developed by ArtSciLab, the UT Dallas transdisciplinary research lab, the International Society for the Arts, Sciences and Technology (ISAST) and MIT Press, the platform is a curated online area for academic literature from several disciplines. It now includes over 200 books and gives readers access to three different journals from MIT Press.
“The ArtSciLab seeks to be a pioneer in the field of experimental publishing,” Dr. Roger Malina, Arts and Technology distinguished chair and director of the lab, said. “We hope to probe, test and experiment with new ways for professionals to document their work and show it to others. ARTECA provides a way for us to ‘beta test’ the future for the art-science-technology community.”
This new platform allows scholarly work to be read and honored even if it is not included in traditional academic journals.
“There are a lot of issues in how we disseminate research in academia,” alumnus Chaz Lilly, research assistant for the platform and doctoral candidate at the UT Dallas School of Arts, Technology and Emerging Communication, said. “We live in a digital world where online research and publishing is an immediate resource, but a lot of it doesn’t reach its audience without an access point.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about UT-Dallas ?
Next time we write about UT-Dallas, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Summit explores ways to best meet mental health needs of Rhode Island college students
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Magnetar Mysteries in our Galaxy and Beyond
- EMPORIA STATE UNIVERSITY: Kansas Teachers Achieve National Board Certification
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: Home Away From Home: Two International Students Share Their Stories
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Interfaith Project Meeting to be Held January 1
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Samford’s Beeson Divinity School to Host Conference on Racial Reconciliation with The Institute on Religion and Democracy
- Georgetown University has most student athletes in Washington, D.C.
- AARHUS UNIVERSITY: Aarhus University Hospital named Denmark's best hospital for the eleventh year running
- ADTALEM GLOBAL EDUCATION INC.: Adtalem Global Education Completes Divestitures of DeVry University and Carrington College
- Analysis: Which college golf program grossed the most in the U.S.