University Press, the newspaper of Lamar University, will kick off a new speaker series, entitled “UPLift: Career Portraits in Modern Media and Communications,” on Oct. 26 with a talk from Corpus Christi Caller-Times reporter Julie Garcia.
“The idea of the series is to highlight how
UP alumni have used the skills they learned at the paper,” Andy Coughlan, director of student publications at Lamar University, said. “Our staffers go on to jobs in all fields -- some far-flung from journalism -- but the basic skills for communication have
served them well. We hope students will get to see that the same intellectual
curiosity that makes one a good journalist can be applied to any field.”
Garcia’s talk will focus on social media
branding for media professionals and challenges like professional credibility
and personal identity. The event will take place on the eighth floor of the
John and Mary Gray Library from noon to 2 p.m.
“We’re excited and proud to have Julie come
for what we plan as an annual event,” Lamar Assistant Director of Student
Publications Stephan Malick, who is coordinating the event, said. “She is a great
example of a journeyman journalist who is out in the field working every day.
She has great insights and experiences with day-to-day operations, but also the
soft-skills that are required in any profession.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Lamar University ?
Next time we write about Lamar University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- HOWARD UNIVERSITY: Howard University Hospital Names Crystal Wheeler As Chief People Officer
- Graduates earn 151 degrees from Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico-Arecibo
- Cost of college went up for all students at Universidad Adventista de las Antillas
- Graduates earn 527 degrees, certificates from Inter American University of Puerto Rico-Bayamon
- Cost of college went up for all students at Emporia State University
- ARKANSAS TECH UNIVERSITY: Blake Takes Leadership at Lake Point
- UNIVERSITY OF EVANSVILLE: UE Receives $100,000 Grant from Schell Foundation
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY: Jacobson returns to University of Mary after gaining NCAA Division I coaching experience
- AIR FORCE INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: AFIT offers course on Strategic Topics in Defense Innovation
- AUBURN UNIVERSITY: Auburn Agriculture, Extension name Phillips associate dean, assistant director