University Press, the newspaper of Lamar University, will kick off a new speaker series, entitled “UPLift: Career Portraits in Modern Media and Communications,” on Oct. 26 with a talk from Corpus Christi Caller-Times reporter Julie Garcia.
“The idea of the series is to highlight how
UP alumni have used the skills they learned at the paper,” Andy Coughlan, director of student publications at Lamar University, said. “Our staffers go on to jobs in all fields -- some far-flung from journalism -- but the basic skills for communication have
served them well. We hope students will get to see that the same intellectual
curiosity that makes one a good journalist can be applied to any field.”
Garcia’s talk will focus on social media
branding for media professionals and challenges like professional credibility
and personal identity. The event will take place on the eighth floor of the
John and Mary Gray Library from noon to 2 p.m.
“We’re excited and proud to have Julie come
for what we plan as an annual event,” Lamar Assistant Director of Student
Publications Stephan Malick, who is coordinating the event, said. “She is a great
example of a journeyman journalist who is out in the field working every day.
She has great insights and experiences with day-to-day operations, but also the
soft-skills that are required in any profession.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Lamar University ?
Next time we write about Lamar University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Summit explores ways to best meet mental health needs of Rhode Island college students
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Magnetar Mysteries in our Galaxy and Beyond
- EMPORIA STATE UNIVERSITY: Kansas Teachers Achieve National Board Certification
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: Home Away From Home: Two International Students Share Their Stories
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Interfaith Project Meeting to be Held January 1
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Samford’s Beeson Divinity School to Host Conference on Racial Reconciliation with The Institute on Religion and Democracy
- Georgetown University has most student athletes in Washington, D.C.
- AARHUS UNIVERSITY: Aarhus University Hospital named Denmark's best hospital for the eleventh year running
- ADTALEM GLOBAL EDUCATION INC.: Adtalem Global Education Completes Divestitures of DeVry University and Carrington College
- Analysis: Which college golf program grossed the most in the U.S.