Ashford University recently named Stephen Atienza its Outstanding Alum of the Month.
Atienza, who is an active-duty Marine, is a
frequent traveler who has a wife and children -- so, when choosing to go back to
school to earn his bachelor’s degree, he didn’t have a lot of options.
“Traditional schools were not an option for me,” Atienza said.
“I’ll be honest with you, a traditional school doesn’t impress me at all. I’ve
attended several. I chose Ashford over more traditional schools because it
catered to my lifestyle. It gave me the freedom to focus on my family, my work and my education, all at the same time. I didn’t have to answer to anyone
else’s time or location. I was traveling for my job, and all I had to do was get
online and start doing my homework in a hotel anytime, anywhere.”
Atienza enrolled in the organizational management program at
Ashford because it went along with his career ambitions. The faculty and the
level of education he experienced at the university immediately impressed him.
“Ashford caters to working adults, but it is demanding,” he said. “You
have to work for your degree. The teachers and the curriculum were
Organizations in this story
Ashford University 8620 Spectrum Center Blvd San Diego, CA - 92123
- Texas, D.C. rank highest in revenue generated by college athletics
- Dallas series will look into your mind
- Climate change called more catastrophic on mountains
- Brown provost joins public outcry over immigrant ban
- University sponsors wide-ranging business conference
- Gallery shows off variety of student artwork
- Pence taps South Dakota grad as security adviser
- 'Students-first' educators earn annual honors
- Professor puts underserved children on her radar
- South Dakota has prescription for family medicine success