Brown University has announced that Urs Fischer, the artist responsible for “Untitled (Lamp/Bear),” a giant teddy bear combined with an oversized desk lamp that was installed in Simmons Quad this summer, is coming to campus to hold a lecture.
“This is a great opportunity for students and others to gain
insight into Urs’ eclectic vision and his working method,” David Winton Bell Gallery Director Jo-Ann Conklin said.
Fischer will be discussing his other works of art as
well as “Untitled (Lamp/Bear).”
Robert Emlen, curator and member of the Public Art Committee at Brown, said the purpose of public art is “not just to enliven the campus
but to provide a context for discussion.”
“We want to encourage people to stop,
think and talk about it,” he said. “It’s a good sign that people notice, that people are
moved by these artworks.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Brown University ?
Next time we write about Brown University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Sticker shock: Which 2-year U.S. schools charge the lowest in-state tuition?
- Analysis: Which college ice hockey program grossed the most in the U.S.
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Guardian Credit Union FCS KickOff FanFest and Barbecue to be Held August 23
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Amgen Foundation Honors David Baltimore with Gift to Caltech
- The price of education: Which 2-year Colorado schools charge the lowest in-state tuition?
- Analysis: Which college wrestling program grossed the most in the U.S.
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Samford University Ranked No. 34 Nationally, Top in Alabama on Kiplinger’s “Best College Values” List
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Jennifer Lum Named Caltech General Counsel
- ALMA COLLEGE: Six STUNT Athletes Named All-Americans
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Plans to Prosper You: Reflections of Black Resistance and Resilience in Montgomery County's Potomac River Valley to be Held July 30