A mechanical engineering student at the University of New Orleans (UNO) recently received a scholarship worth $2,000 from Tau Beta Pi, the only national engineering honor society that includes all engineering professional fields.
Ana Solis, the recipient, plans to earn her doctorate degree in biomedical engineering after she finishes her undergraduate studies. She was born and raised in San Pedro Sula, Honduras, and traveled to UNO to earn her degree.
When she was a bilingual high school student, she worked as a volunteer translator for the medical brigades that went to underserved regions in Honduras to offer clinical care. While translating, she grew interested in how engineering and medicine work together.
During her time at UNO, Solis has become the president of the Society of Women Engineers as well as the UNO Ambassadors, which is a student group of representatives of UNO at on-campus and off-campus events.
Furthermore, she has joined the American Society of Mechanical Engineers and the American Association of Drilling Engineers.
Tau Beta Pi awarded Munoz Solis with a Record Scholarship. This scholarship program is named after Leroy Record, a previous member of Tau Beta Pi who left half of his estate to the scholarship fund.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of New Orleans ?
Next time we write about University of New Orleans, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Analysis: 58,361 college athletes play baseball
- UTAH STATE UNIVERSITY: New Provost Named at Utah State University
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY: Energy Transfer/Sunoco Foundation and Energy Transfer Partners Donate $5 Million to the University of Mary
- COLORADO SCHOOL OF MINES: Clarke wins NSF CAREER grant for advanced steel research
- BUTLER UNIVERSITY: Retailing's Loss Was Biology's Gain
- CONCORDIA UNIVERSITY TEXAS: A seemingly perpetual student's view on grad school experience
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA, HUNTSVILLE: Team Chargernaut takes first place in NASA Human Exploration Rover Challenge
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA: Parkway to Close April 27-28 for USA Triathlon
- 114,405 U.S. borrowers in default on student loans from private, nonprofit schools
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA, HUNTSVILLE: Alumnus’ firm in forefront of private Wi-Fi, Internet in space