Leaders at Rice University and the Menil Collection have partnered for a unique cultural heritage conference that featured art, archaeology and history from the ancient Mediterranean.
Over 100 archaeologists, art historians and museum professionals from 30 different universities and museums around the world -- including Italy -- attended the Collaborative Futures for Museum Collections: Antiquities, Provenance and Cultural Heritage conference.
The event emphasized the research and education behind the initiative. The goal was to discuss cultural heritage, encouraging a rich historical understanding of approximately 600 objects within the Menil’s permanent collection of the ancient Mediterranean.
“It was a great success, if for no other reason than because so many prominent curators and academics from around the country spoke honestly and openly about the problems that face orphaned objects and the ways we can work together to right the course of the ship,” John Hopkins, assistant professor of art history and classical studies at Rice, said. “This is perhaps the first time in recent memory that such a discussion has happened … and concluded with positive and proactive ways forward.”
This conference was part of an initiative to grant 11 U.S. scholars the opportunity to explore and study Menil’s object records. Researchers looked at the history, biography and significance of the collection’s pieces.
Ultimately, the goal was to determine how open collaboration with scholars and museums can help to improve art history, museums, archaeology and stewardship practices.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Rice University ?
Next time we write about Rice University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- UTAH STATE UNIVERSITY: New Provost Named at Utah State University
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH DAKOTA: USD Alumna Uses Personal Experience to Spread Message of Financial Literacy
- ASHLAND UNIVERSITY: Ashland University’s Emerson Scholars Receive Recognition
- BERRY COLLEGE: Coyote Lecture April 23 at Oak Hill
- MIAMI UNIVERSITY-OXFORD: Randi Thomas and Diane Delisio receive Miami University's Distinguished Service Award
- UNIVERSITY OF TAMPA: UT’s Spring Dance Happening Runs April 25-27
- Analysis: College athletics grossed $31,832 per athlete in 2016
- UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO ANSCHUTZ MEDICAL CAMPUS: New law updates language related to dementia
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA: UA’s Urban Forest Earns ‘Tree Campus USA’ Times Three
- TULANE UNIVERSITY: Speaker to explore use of biology in creation of technology