Dr. David Blask of the Tulane Center for Circadian Biology believes that the fall time change interferes with a person’s sleep pattern.
“Daylight -- even low light levels at sunrise -- is the
predominant time cue for our master circadian biological timing system,” he
No matter what time it is on a clock, the body is attuned
naturally to how light it is outside.
Blask stated that during the spring, “the circadian or body
clock is forced to adjust to a one-hour phase advance, or daylight saving time.”
This is equivalent to jet lag.
“This is very disruptive to the clock and consequently the
sleep-wake cycle,” Blask said. “It's almost impossible for it to adjust.”
When time is adjusted backward one hour in the fall, it is
much easier for people’s bodies to adjust.
occurs a month too late,” Blask said. “It would be better if it occurred in September again
because of the ability of the (circadian) clock to track the dawn.”
Black believes that being deprived of sleep and being
exposed to light at night can lead to a higher risk of heart disease, type 2
diabetes and cancer.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about Tulane University ?
Next time we write about Tulane University, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Graduates earn 205 degrees, certificates from Career Technical Institute
- Graduates earn 141 degrees from American University of Puerto Rico
- Cost of college went down for all students at Columbia Central University-Caguas
- Cost of college went up for all students at Rice University
- Graduates earn 421 degrees, certificates from Universal Technology College of Puerto Rico
- Cost of college went up for all students at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- Cost of college went down for all students at American Technical Institute
- Graduates earn 1,503 degrees, certificates from Bradley University
- Analysis: Colleges spend $2.1 billion on men's athletic student aid
- Cost of college went up for all students at University of Puerto Rico-Utuado