The Arkansas Archaeological Survey and archaeologists Jamie Brandon and Lydia Rees partnered with the Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council and the University of Arkansas Museum collections to create the Bluff Shelters of the Arkansas Ozarks website.
The project was funded by the Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council.
The website features a simple, easy-to-follow design that
explains the current knowledge about bluff shelters and bluff caves. The native
people who inhabited the area used the Arkansas Ozarks sites for shelter for
approximately 10,000 years.
The website answers commonly asked questions about the bluff
shelters and bluff caves, such as the geology, a time line, early excavations
and the rare items found inside the shelters. The southeast's moist climate
usually rots fabrics and other fragile materials, but the caves are dry
and in some cases these fragile items have survived to the present. It also
discusses the myths and misconceptions associated with the bluff shelters.
The website includes information on bluff shelters in the
Arkansas State Parks and the Buffalo National River. These sites are protected
and interpreted. A reading list is available for the public and researchers to
delve further into the archaeology and history of bluff shelters and bluff
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of Arkansas ?
Next time we write about University of Arkansas, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Summit explores ways to best meet mental health needs of Rhode Island college students
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Magnetar Mysteries in our Galaxy and Beyond
- EMPORIA STATE UNIVERSITY: Kansas Teachers Achieve National Board Certification
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: Home Away From Home: Two International Students Share Their Stories
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Interfaith Project Meeting to be Held January 1
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Samford’s Beeson Divinity School to Host Conference on Racial Reconciliation with The Institute on Religion and Democracy
- Georgetown University has most student athletes in Washington, D.C.
- AARHUS UNIVERSITY: Aarhus University Hospital named Denmark's best hospital for the eleventh year running
- ADTALEM GLOBAL EDUCATION INC.: Adtalem Global Education Completes Divestitures of DeVry University and Carrington College
- Analysis: Which college golf program grossed the most in the U.S.