The Arkansas Archaeological Survey and archaeologists Jamie Brandon and Lydia Rees partnered with the Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council and the University of Arkansas Museum collections to create the Bluff Shelters of the Arkansas Ozarks website.
The project was funded by the Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council.
The website features a simple, easy-to-follow design that
explains the current knowledge about bluff shelters and bluff caves. The native
people who inhabited the area used the Arkansas Ozarks sites for shelter for
approximately 10,000 years.
The website answers commonly asked questions about the bluff
shelters and bluff caves, such as the geology, a time line, early excavations
and the rare items found inside the shelters. The southeast's moist climate
usually rots fabrics and other fragile materials, but the caves are dry
and in some cases these fragile items have survived to the present. It also
discusses the myths and misconceptions associated with the bluff shelters.
The website includes information on bluff shelters in the
Arkansas State Parks and the Buffalo National River. These sites are protected
and interpreted. A reading list is available for the public and researchers to
delve further into the archaeology and history of bluff shelters and bluff
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of Arkansas ?
Next time we write about University of Arkansas, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Graduates earn 2,376 degrees, certificates from University of Colorado Colorado Springs
- Graduates earn 230 degrees, certificates from Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at Charlie's Guard-Detective Bureau and Academy Inc
- Cost of college went up for all students at Berry College
- Graduates earn 9,226 degrees, certificates from George Washington University
- Cost of college went down for all students at Atenas College
- Cost of college went up for all students at University of Arkansas
- Graduates earn 125 degrees, certificates from ICPR Junior College-Mayaguez
- HOWARD UNIVERSITY: Howard University Hospital Names Crystal Wheeler As Chief People Officer
- Graduates earn 151 degrees from Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico-Arecibo