Undergraduate research performed at University of Arkansas (U of A) has garnered national recognition and publication in the journal Biochemistry recently.
Jordana Thibado's work
began in Professor Roger Koeppe's lab during her freshman year.
Thibado's paper, "Influence of High pH and Cholesterol
on Single Arginine-Containing Transmembrane Peptide Helices," was based on
the experiments conducted on peptide helices.
The helices mimic components of
cell membranes. When she inserted arginine, an amino acid, into the helix and
exposed it to cholesterol, the results varied according to the position of the
When placed in the center of the helix, it was driven out of the lipid
membrane's surface. When inserted into other parts of the helix and exposed to cholesterol,
"The future challenge is to figure out why cholesterol
has such a big effect on one of these samples, and not on the other, because we
don't understand why this is happening," Koeppe said. "Cholesterol is
much studied, but many of the fundamental properties still are not well
Thibado's undergraduate research won first place three times
at national and regional conferences. She received a bachelor's in chemistry at U of
A. She is currently pursuing her doctorate in physiology, biophysics and
systems biology at Weill Medical College, located in New York. Weill is Cornell
University's medical campus.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of Arkansas ?
Next time we write about University of Arkansas, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at Dewey University-Fajardo
- Graduates earn 453 degrees, certificates from Inter American University of Puerto Rico-Barranquitas
- Cost of college went up for all students at Strayer University-Global Region
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at Bennett Career Institute
- Graduates earn 853 degrees, certificates from Inter American University of Puerto Rico-San German
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at Educational Technical College-Recinto de san Sebastian
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at University of Puerto Rico-Bayamon
- Cost of college went up for all students at Bayamon Community College
- Graduates earn 284 degrees, certificates from Colegio de Cinematografa Artes y Television
- Graduates earn 542 degrees from University of Puerto Rico-Carolina