Researchers and students from the University of Rhode Island (URI) recently took part in the U.S. Department of the Interior’s Hurricane Sandy recovery projects by mapping the underwater habitats of Fire Island National Seashore in New York.
“The initial step in effectively managing
submerged natural resources is to have an accurate and detailed understanding
of what resources you actually have,” URI Oceanography Professor John
King said. “Our project is providing that knowledge about the study sites to the
National Park Service for the first time.”
Using technology like acoustic sonars and
remote-controlled underwater vehicles, student’s from King’s laboratory in the
Graduate School of Oceanography were able to gather information about the
National Park, 75 percent of which is under water.
In addition to the research, URI students
in the Society, Ecology and Communication Laboratory collaborated on the
project to create a multimedia story entitled “The Big Reveal: Developing
Habitat Maps of the Seafloor of Key Coastal Natural Resources,” which includes copy,
interactive maps, photos and graphics on the project.
“It’s important people understand the value
of this research,” Jamie Remillard, rhetoric and composition doctoral student and co-creator of “The Big Reveal,” said. “‘The Big Reveal’ is informative, and it also connects people with
science that matters in an engaging, interactive way. Making that sort of
connection is key.”
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of Rhode Island ?
Next time we write about University of Rhode Island, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Summit explores ways to best meet mental health needs of Rhode Island college students
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Magnetar Mysteries in our Galaxy and Beyond
- EMPORIA STATE UNIVERSITY: Kansas Teachers Achieve National Board Certification
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: Home Away From Home: Two International Students Share Their Stories
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Interfaith Project Meeting to be Held January 1
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Samford’s Beeson Divinity School to Host Conference on Racial Reconciliation with The Institute on Religion and Democracy
- Georgetown University has most student athletes in Washington, D.C.
- AARHUS UNIVERSITY: Aarhus University Hospital named Denmark's best hospital for the eleventh year running
- ADTALEM GLOBAL EDUCATION INC.: Adtalem Global Education Completes Divestitures of DeVry University and Carrington College
- Analysis: Which college golf program grossed the most in the U.S.