Students from the University of Rhode Island have been announced as recipients of a state award for their proposal to protect the Port of Galilee from rising sea levels, which are believed to be caused by climate change.
The proposal, titled “Galilee: A Vision for a Resilient
Port,” was selected by the American Planning Association’s Rhode Island chapter
as the student category winner.
“The awards committee loved the project,” Horsley Witten
Group in Providence Chair and Project Planner Jeff
Davis said. “It involved fantastic ideas, meaningful, inclusive collaboration,
great visuals and robust data and trend analysis with inventive yet
regulatory-compliant solutions. We all hope to see steps taken to implement
these ideas both at Galilee and at other areas along the Rhode Island coast.”
The report received contributions from students in landscape
architecture, environmental science and management and marine affairs.
prepared by a URI professor in the Landscape Architecture Department, William Green; assistant professor of Coastal Planning, Policy and Design, Austin
Becker; URI undergraduate Antone Almeida; and URI graduate student Mary-Kate Kane.
The award will be presented at a ceremony taking place at
Slater Mill in Pawtucket on Jan. 12.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about University of Rhode Island ?
Next time we write about University of Rhode Island, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- BROWN UNIVERSITY: Summit explores ways to best meet mental health needs of Rhode Island college students
- CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: Magnetar Mysteries in our Galaxy and Beyond
- EMPORIA STATE UNIVERSITY: Kansas Teachers Achieve National Board Certification
- ADELPHI UNIVERSITY: Home Away From Home: Two International Students Share Their Stories
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Interfaith Project Meeting to be Held January 1
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY: Samford’s Beeson Divinity School to Host Conference on Racial Reconciliation with The Institute on Religion and Democracy
- Georgetown University has most student athletes in Washington, D.C.
- AARHUS UNIVERSITY: Aarhus University Hospital named Denmark's best hospital for the eleventh year running
- ADTALEM GLOBAL EDUCATION INC.: Adtalem Global Education Completes Divestitures of DeVry University and Carrington College
- Analysis: Which college golf program grossed the most in the U.S.