A recent study conducted by the Naveen Jindal School of Management evaluated the impact of Facebook’s granular privacy controls and how these options affect the disclosure behavior of the user.
The study came about
because of the concerns over privacy when it comes to social network platforms.
“People have different views on the value of privacy
controls in managing disclosures and therefore privacy dangers,” Associate
Professor of Information Systems Dr. Huseyin Cavusoglu said. “Some people
argue that giving users more granular controls mitigates privacy issues because
users can effectively limit the recipients of shared content, thereby
increasing the secrecy of disclosures. On the contrary, other people claim that
users perceive privacy risks less severely when they have more controls to
exercise, and as a result, share more content publicly, thereby increasing the
openness of disclosures.”
The study by Naveen Jindal School of Management was
published in the most recent issue of the INFORMS journal, "Information Systems
During the course of the study, researchers collected data from
Facebook to test the association between privacy controls and the disclosure
patterns of users regarding two of the most popular ways in which content is shared: wall posts and private messages.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about UT Dallas ?
Next time we write about UT Dallas, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- Graduates earn 142 degrees, certificates from Columbia Central University-Yauco
- Graduates earn 192 degrees from Instituto Tecnologico de Puerto Rico-Recinto de Guayama
- Cost of college went up for all students at Advantage Technical College
- Cost of college went up for all students at Caribbean University-Vega Baja
- Cost of college went up for all students at American University
- Cost of college was unchanged for all students at Colegio Tecnico de Electricidad Galloza
- Graduates earn 2,331 degrees, certificates from University of Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras
- Graduates earn 733 degrees, certificates from Inter American University of Puerto Rico-Aguadilla
- Graduates earn 72 degrees, certificates from Puerto Rico Conservatory of Music
- Graduates earn 8,564 degrees, certificates from The University of Alabama