A recent study conducted by the Naveen Jindal School of Management evaluated the impact of Facebook’s granular privacy controls and how these options affect the disclosure behavior of the user.
The study came about
because of the concerns over privacy when it comes to social network platforms.
“People have different views on the value of privacy
controls in managing disclosures and therefore privacy dangers,” Associate
Professor of Information Systems Dr. Huseyin Cavusoglu said. “Some people
argue that giving users more granular controls mitigates privacy issues because
users can effectively limit the recipients of shared content, thereby
increasing the secrecy of disclosures. On the contrary, other people claim that
users perceive privacy risks less severely when they have more controls to
exercise, and as a result, share more content publicly, thereby increasing the
openness of disclosures.”
The study by Naveen Jindal School of Management was
published in the most recent issue of the INFORMS journal, "Information Systems
During the course of the study, researchers collected data from
Facebook to test the association between privacy controls and the disclosure
patterns of users regarding two of the most popular ways in which content is shared: wall posts and private messages.
Organizations in this story
Want to get notified whenever we write about UT Dallas ?
Next time we write about UT Dallas, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for Alerts
- CENTRAL MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY: Business teams in training
- COLLEGE OF CENTRAL FLORIDA: Resume Workshop to be Held February 20
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY: Cru Weekly Meeting to be Held February 14
- ADITALEM GLOBAL EDUCATION INC.: Latin-American Dance Inspires Alma Symphony Orchestra
- COLLEGE OF CENTRAL FLORIDA: Master Artist Workshop With Sue Primeau at the Appleton Museum of Art
- CLOUD COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE: CCCC receives grant from Sunderland Foundation
- CLOUD COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE: Zuzu African Acrobats next Cook Series performers
- CENTRAL MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY: Breaking alcohol’s death grip
- CAMERON UNIVERSITY: Cameron University online MBA program recognized by US News & World Report
- CENTRAL CONNECTICUT STATE UNIVERSITY: Macedonia in Synopsis